Does anybody have an old busted gas tank sitting around?

Soliddrummer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
If so, I could really use the little gas cap latch pin that goes in here. I'm nearing the end of my ground up build on a 78 special, and so far, this is the only thing I've misplaced. If anybody has one on an old busted up tank, and would like to sell it to me, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Seems like you could find a pin at the hardware store. Take the part the pin holds in with you. Find a pin that fits. If too long cut to fit.
Leo

I have an old nail rigged in there for now, holds and works just fine, just looks tacky. I did pillage the hardware store looking for something, but everything I found would put me in the same situation as the nail. I wasn't able to find any kind of a "permanent" solution. I just figured someone would have one of these in an old smashed up tank somewhere.

Did you see any tension pins at the hardware store?

Attachments

• 6-18-3-im-picture-1588.jpg
    6-18-3-im-picture-1588.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 251
I'll drill out the mount for a larger diameter tension pin.

You're such a stickler for originality and then you want to drill something out...

I have the same tank and the original pin is bradded on both ends, impossible to take out. What it might be is a headed pin going into a female on the other side with the same kind of head as the pin. Don't freak and drill something. Besides, you're likely to end up with the cap not closing right. I would put a tight fitting nail or pin in it and crush the other end so it couldn't come out.

I'm not a stickler for originality at all, what was on this tank when I got it was just a fantastic solution, removable, and worked perfectly, so I figured I'd try to find another one like that, assuming it was original. If you are implying that what was on my tank was not original, then I'm searching in vain, because no one knows what I'm looking for. What was on this tank was an alloy pin with a thin head like a nail, and the other side was grooved for a small e clip. Simple. Effective. I assumed it was original. I'll just put a roll pin in it and call it a day.

What you had might have been original but mine is surely original too. The nail crushed on the end is a better solution. That's not a roll pin application really. I would never drill it out for something bigger; there's no need to and it will change how the cap fits.

You could make a pin like you had using a Dremel tool and a nail and an e-clip.

Last edited:
Back