Does anybody remember a Yahama where the e-start was some type of pedal?

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't end up taking up a lot of space. I don't have a very long back ground with Yamaha. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I was talking to a fellow who was telling me about a motorcycle (he thought Yamaha XS) that had a pedal for the e-start.

Does that ring a bell for anybody?

Hope your holidays are the BEST ever.......Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B Stock Daily Runner.

Hahaha, hey, Gordon.

All I can remember is the "behind the gas petal" starter buttons on my daddy's Cadillacs.

Otherwise, I recall the separate lever that would let you 'stomp' into neutral...

Perhaps he's kind of remembering the 72-73 pull start/decompression lever at the throttle grip.

T2eC16NHJGwFFYuou38BRysZNOIg60_57_zps34abf9c3.jpg

Is it possible that at some point he forgot he rewired his bike to actuate the starter with the decomp lever?

The Norton e-starts were described as "electric assist" to be used to "help the leg".

Well, heck fellows I'm not sure what he was talking about. :confused:

Didn't some of the XS11's have some sort of emergency/temp kick start lever you could mount if the starter didn't work??? Wonder if that's what's he's going on about?

Any way......thanks for the replies. I'm loving my XS650 more and more each day.

Hope your holidays are the BEST ever......Gordon in NC

Early Goldwings and XS11's had an emergency kickstarter ankle breaker that had to be removed from storage clips and attached to the engine to use.

Early Goldwings and XS11's had an emergency kickstarter ankle breaker that had to be removed from storage clips and attached to the engine to use.
Not unlike the crank...Err.........arm braker for a model T?

Back