Does anyone have experience selling motorcycle overseas?

TerribleTabo1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Someone contacted me regarding my ebay listing and wanted to buy my 1977 XS650 in the USA & ship it to Australia. I googled the email address and it seems like a legit person. I've never sold a vehicle to someone overseas & would usually suspect it's a scam but this one sounds legit:
Dear terribletabo,

This is jason from Australia.

Whats the min price you will take for the bike?
I would like to consider purchasing
Does the Frame and engine No match?

Im not a time waster and would have a bike company pick the bike up and ship to australia with a little help from you.....

also would you remove it from ebay and we purchase it staright away

Kind regards

Please email me so we can work out a sale and if you have any info on the bike please provide
I've read some horror stories about international scams so I'm a bit wary. Any tips on how I should protect myself if this is legit?

Nooo, dont do it. If hes really that intrested he'll already have a method of shipping sorted.
only consider If he sends cash up front + $15,000 for your trouble!

I always say: If in doubt, leave it out.
I'm sure you will sell your bike, it doesn't have to be from abroad. A lot of hassle for what it's worth IMO

Lot's of scams like this, I expect he'll be paying by Paypal, and you'll get a letter saying you need to pay x amount to release the funds from a fake paypal, there are plenty of xs's in Australia, just parts are a bit difficult to come by.

I have looked into buying and importing from the States to Aus. There is a lot of organizing to do, (freight in the US), and import licenses and customs paperwork as well.

As an ebay buyer i will never ask a seller to finish an auction early and sell to me. just not right in my mind and honesty and trust has to be involved in any transaction.

If you are interested in selling overseas ask a lot of questions and get confirmation of how the buyer is going to transport within the states and if the person has an import license to their country. If someone has done all of this confirmation is easy to verify.

I don't know that paypal can be faked, i am of the understanding that it is a secure fund manager and if i was selling i would make sure any funds were in my personal bank before i released the bike.

In Aus there are XS650's to be found but i would not say there are plenty, in some states they are really hard to find and the prices are quite high and dealers have been doing this a lot because a $1500 - $2000 bike, (+ import costs), can be sold for $5-$8000 or more depending on the condition and model.

If i was going to buy i would offer a lot more information about myself than the guy that got in touch with you has

I would be very wary

Thanks, this person actually did leave his contact info (phone #), but I didn't include in my original post. I googled his email and came up with Jason from Piranha Parts:

That many spelling and grammer errors usually is a sure sign its not legit..

Poor english: ESL..

That is 100% scam! I've sold aftermarket parts on Ebay for years and get this same email all the time. They will be using a stolen credit card and you will get charged back by Paypal. DON'T DO IT. Report him to Ebay for asking you to sell it to him without going thru Ebay.

hi guys,,,, i,ve got a great method,,, money up or shut up.....simple paypal xxxxxxxxxx amont for bike and xxxx amount for your help ... paypal when it clears you send bike ..i.ve bought and sold cars utes and motorcycles on ebay without dramas,, and i buy alot of bike bits from usa without dramas at all regards oldbiker :)

Signing off with "kind regards" is not a usual term we use in Oz for starters, unless we are sucking up to the boss, then "regards" will do (don't want to get too friendly).

as soon as I read it my scammer alarm went off as well, the grammar is in chinglish,
the only PIRANHAPARTS I could find was a speedboat related site.

"also would you remove it from ebay and we purchase it staright away".....that's the tell
cheers

On the subject of importing-exporting does one need a title to export, might be going to U S A next year & would like to buy a bike & ship back to Australia,if you dont need title it could work out good re price etc.

I have shipped about 9 bikes overseas and to be hounest if the money is worth it then look into it. Not easy and you have to do alot of paper work or if you can find a shipper with a container not filled. I have shipped to GERMANY/ Japan/Ireland and some other and it was worth it because they were paying much more than here in the states and i controled the shipping and money transfer. Couple bikes had to be crated and broken down. I have been doing EBAY a long time with over 2000 feedback and you do have to watch paypal it can bite you in the ass. Not all the time but some countries have no info if your part ever made it. Rio is one and so is Indonisa both are places where you can send a part or bike the person can get it then put a claim in to paypal that they never got it and you give the money back. Happened to me on a set of XS cases says it was recieved on other end but not the same name as buyer. Buyer says he never got it and money was taken back out of my account to give his money back. SO IF YOU NEVER!!! did overseas shipping STAY AWAY. SCAM or NOT it better be worth it like $10,000 for a $1500.00 bike. I am not trying to be a prick to overseas buyer because i got guys overseas that buy a lot from me but with a bike you need to know if they need title/certified bill of sale/ Hazart Stamp. All countries are different. Most guys that ship overseas have containers and fill them up. Here is a good trick a guy i know use to do with me. He would buy 50 new tires and put them between bikes as packing and when they got on other end sell them. ITS PACKING...

I emailed the guy back with my cell # a few times & also with wire transfer instructions from my bank. Got no reply, then I get an email from him yesterday that said he bought another xs650 after I didn't get back to him.

Back