Does anyone stand by their product anymore?

Kingwj

I know nothing, nothing!
Reaction score
Just heard back from Kitchenaid that the stand mixer I purchased new in 1999 that has broken 3 times is my problem and they have no intention of standing by their product. Before I get the 'I have my mom's mixer and it's awesome and 50 years old' let's realize that 50 years ago Hobart produced the brand. In 1995 they were bought by Whirlpool who proceeded to make a thousand colors and cheapen up everything inside the case. Just a warning that if you buy a Kitchenaid mixer and intend to use it as advertised you will probably be quickly disappointed when it takes a shit and Kitchenaid very politely tells you to go fuck yourself.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::yikes::yikes::yikes::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I know that I'm a guy but baking bread is one of my little pleasures.I don't care for store bought bread so I had to learn.
And the Kitchenaid mixer has taken a big sht thats for sure.

I bought my wife one. Fixed it twice at my own expense before I shitcanned it.

Replaced it with an antique Mixmaster. That thing is a tank.

NOTHING new is built to last any more, and damned little is designed to be repaired.

The economy is built around planned obsolescence, shitcan it and buy a new one.

And the bitter part is, we did it to ourselves by shopping strictly by price. It was bad enough when you couldn't afford anything decent, now it's damn near impossible to find anything worth a fuck at ANY price.

Yes, I have to agree. There's no question, that manufacturers have cut quality, to be sure products don't last to long.

I had a Sony large screen LCD TV. It quit working after 17 months. My previous TV's were the old fashioned CRT types, but guess what....................they all lasted 20+ years. The Sony was expensive at $2000.00, and of course it only had a 12 month warranty, which is standard for electronic items. There is some good news here. I bought the Sony TV with my mastercard, which doubles the Sony warranty to 2 years. Mastercard sent me a cheque for $2000.00.

Another example. I had a Motorola microwave oven for 22 years. It was old and to large to fit in our new kitchen, so I took it to the recycle depot, even though it was still working fine. I bought a new Panosonic microwave and it quit working at around 25 months. It was out of warranty.

The washing machine, we now use is 21 years old. Its a Kenmore (Sears), and works great. I know it going to fail any day now. I also know that the next washing machine I buy, will likely only last 7 to 10 years.

My advice is to buy the best quality you can afford, and use a credit card, so that your typical 1 year warranty will be doubled to 2 years. That will protect you for any early failure such as happened with my Sony TV. You can also buy extra insurance from stores such as Best Buy. The cost of the insurance is much higher than it should be, and Best Buy loves it when you buy it, because it generates big profit for them.

Through the years, I have owned GM and Ford products. They were poorly assembled and parts such as starter motors, alternators, brakes, etc. were of poor quality and wore out quickly. I learned my lesson, and now drive a Toyota Camry. It's by far the best car I have ever owned. You can feel the quality when you drive it, and after 8 years, there has been no need to replace any parts, except for tires. My Camry was made in Kentucky, so thanks to the Kentucky lads for building a great product.

Based on past experience, Zippo and Bose stand solidly behind their products. Bought my Bose 901 speakers in 1975. In 2007 the equalizer quit. Called Bose and the rep said they had none of that vintage in stock but I could send the EQ and $50. for a complete rebuild. Or, I could send the EQ and the speakers and buy a new set for 50% the $1,400. retail price. I chose the rebuild but asked how many people elect to get the new stuff. He said, "Not many. Like you, they get attached and keep their old speakers."
Kind of like keeping old bikes.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

What seems to be the common denominator in the modern electronic failures is a very simple item. Capacitors. My double oven control, my Westinghouse LCD TV, my air compressor, my micro-hood, ALL have crapped due to a capacitor failure. I'm told that
dam dum fuck or whatever chinese company that makes all 31 trillion capacitors a year we consume has become something of a single source in mainland china, and they say take it or leave it on the quality/durability of what they make. They are going to win without ever firing a shot.
Companies that stand by thier product, in my own experience are Leupold, Ruger, Kirby, Snap-On (read the warranty terms before you get pissed) and Craftsman tools. Not much else to brag about out there.

JD, I find most firearms, ammo and related industries are very good to work with. Henry in particular has an absolute warranty, and I've never heard of anybody getting stiffed. I've dealt with Hornady and RCBS on reloaders that I've broken through brute force and ignorance, and they have repeatedly sent me the repair part(s) no charge, even tho I made it very clear that it was my fault and I intended to pay.

I bought Price-Pfister bathroom faucets and had one go bad. I called the tech line and they sent replacement parts free with no questions. :thumbsup:

Its the same now with fridges(i think the life expectance is about 10 years). just bought a new one for the garage and it shit out in 2 months, they did fix it on warranty but we lost all the food inside. My folks have a unit in there garage that was bought 2nd hand some 30 years ago and its still keeping things cold. Just dont make things like they used to.

My son's Samsung LCD TV crapped out at about 14 months - on the internet, I very quickly found out about the capacitor problems, with pic's of bad ones. I pulled the back off the TV, pulled the powerboard out (easy to disconnect), and saw a couple bad capacitors right away. Samsung would not stand behind its product, even with all the info widely available. A local TV serviceman put in some new ones for me for $50 - not as good as rg's $2000-back outcome, but the TV has worked fine ever since.

GOOD! So I'm not the only one with the capacitor problem! I neglected to mention another one that I have good experience with. When we built our house, we had 10 ceiling fans installed. 4 outside, 6 inside. The ones inside are Craftmade (an "offshore" brand, with international offices in Texas) The one in our master bedroom crapped out after 7 years. they have a 30 year warranty. I called the service line and explained what was going on, and the tech (a Texan) opined that the start capacitor had died (yet another capacitor!) He first asked if I could change the control module, and I told him I could. He then said "You know what? Fuck that. Take 2 pictures of it, peel the data tag off the top of it. Send me the pics and the data tag, and I'll send a whole new fan" 10 days later, after doing as asked, brand new nearly 300 dollar fan shows up.

As to reloading equipment, I've never broken anything but a de-priming rod! Must be doing it wrong!

Last edited:
<snip>

As to reloading equipment, I've never broken anything but a de-priming rod! Must be doing it wrong!

Precisely what I broke, on a .223 die. Twice. Got my hands on a cubic shitload of military 5.56 brass, and it's a cast iron bitch to de-prime.

Back