Does the Like button Track my Intenet searches

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Is the like button linked to Facebook..........or to rephrase the question..... Does the like button allow Facebook to track all my history

Facebook tracks any persons Internet history when any page that any person, (with or without a Facebook account), opens an Internet site/page that has a Facebook icon on it. ....... XS650.com doesn't display Facebook icons.......Is the like button a Facebook icon........I seem to remember this symbol, (like button) is Patented to Facebook

From XenForo Manual.......Options.......Facebook Integration.

Facebook Recommend

Facebook Recommend will allow visitors to recommend/like pages which will post a link on the wall of their Facebook account. This does not require the Facebook application.

I regularly clear my browser history, cookies, cache, and data.

There's a lot of things tracking your actions, including insidious ones. Lookup "4virus" and "amazonaws virus". I don't mind the personalized marketing, but the other stuff that lurks out there..... no thanx...

Firefox settings.........no third party cookies allowed......no tracking on any sites....no popups......clears history and cookies after every session.....Stops a page opening if it is a known attack site..........also has a privacy widow that is supposed to stop tracking .........
Google settings the same where available.
Microsoft is a bit harder to get good privacy but have had a go and shut down all unwanted apps, especially the automated ones and removed a lot of the ones i could.....Don't use cloud services.............and found some tracking buried beyond normal options, after reading an article, switched it off

Use CCleaner regulary
Malawarebytes.......free version...........then when i am allowed...........do a free trial full version...........
Defender.
also Addblock Plus.

Haven't read up on those links yet..........

One of my concerns, is this site is not verified, and as we have talked about before, the sign in is not protected............not a major concern really or i wouldn't be on here

because i don't have a Facebook account it can only track my history or open pages but can't add this info to a Facebook profile, as it does if you have an account

Info on the like button and its tracking abilities...........just trying to find out its strength.............google search isn't much help........found more info on it through XenForo manual than anywhere else........but????

Thought Travis might be able to enlighten..........

Having a like or share button on a page requires the page to load and run a facebook api, which is facebook code the page code uses to connect with facebook. Even if you don't use facebook, it's still running on the client side (meaning in your browser) so has the capability to at least send back information about your browser. Interestingly recent versions of Firefox disable the buttons (they won't appear on the page) if you have tracking protection for all sites enabled.

Here's one version of facebook api code. It's uglified for obscurity, but what you can tell is it's a lot of code :) I just finished adding it to a site. I think it's more than most users have consciously bargained for, but not nefarious except in that sense. Everything is facebook these days so it makes sense to connect into it. With a lot of businesses, their facebook page is as important as their website or more so.
https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.12

You'd think it's not going to do a good job of tracking you if don't have a facebook account, but it wouldn't surprise me if we in effect have automatic facebook "pseudo-accounts" where browser fingerprint is your identifier in lieu of a facebook ID. Also it's not limited to just facebook either.

Even my workflow project software at work has a "like" button. It's just to let someone know you're working on their stuff. Facebook owns the rights to "like" along with the "thumbs up" but am pretty sure they don't own the word.

Back