Does your coil have to be grounded at the coil mount

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Simple question, everything worked good until i painted my frame. No spark at the plugs now. I have the high output single coil from xs650 direct. It's mounted under the tank. on the top mount crossbar. Does the paint or clear in my case have to come off?

But the engine needs to be grounded to the frame. Where did you ground your Pamco? Yamaha had ground leads to the engine, the condensers, and the frame in that area.

I was going to rn a ground strap like factory (top motor mount) then tie my pamco/headlight ground into that, then have one more ground at the battery area for everything else.

But the engine needs to be grounded to the frame. Where did you ground your Pamco? Yamaha had ground leads to the engine, the condensers, and the frame in that area.

Isn't the motor grounded to the frame from the motor mounts?
Pamco is grounded to the top mount. I clear coated the frame and mounts. Will have to do some paint removal.

The coil does not need an electrical ground, but it does need a thermal ground for heat dissipation, meaning that the "ground" could be compromised by paint etc. and still serve its purpose as a thermal point of dissipation.

The contact area for the engine to the frame is dissimilar metals, ie: aluminum alloy and steel, and there is quite a bit of current flowing when the starter engages, so eventually a rude semiconductor forms at the junction of the aluminum alloy and the steel that has some resistance, so ideally you should have some sort of ground strap going directly from the battery ground frame bolt to the motor.

I removed the paint from my coil mount anyway before i read all the posts. Kinda wished i hadn't but if it needs to be, i'm O.K with it. Everything worked great before paint.Also removed the paint from the pamco ground and reg/rec/cap ground. It's got to be the issue.
Pete, where would be an ideal frame to motor ground?

I think on the mounts anywhere metal contacts metal should be bare metal to bare metal.
This gives you as much ground path as needed. A thin coat of grease on these connections will prevent corrosion.
Adding a ground strap from the engine to the frame won't hurt.
When I installed the new battery I replaced all the large cables with heavier cables. I think the stock are 10 or 8 gauge cable. I used 6 gauge cable from the battery to starter relay, from there to starter, Battery ground to frame. I also ran a cable from one of the starter mount bolts to the battery ground where it bolts to the frame.
A bit XScessive But the starter works well.
Leo

It was the cap/reg/rec ground. Had to grind some paint and good to go. Just got to wait for some nice riding weather for a test run.

Back