Done goofed, tipped bike and now oil shoots from the exhaust

Spartacus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Edited for brevity:

I tipped my bike over two days ago and since then it has been spewing white smoke and now oil from the exhaust. Prior to that it was running perfectly, no leaks, no smoke, nothing. Checked oil level after tipping and it had lost a bit, so I refilled. Guessing that oil went into my combustion chamber and now is spewing from the exhaust?

I went for a two hour ride yesterday and it didn't burn off, in fact it seemed to get worse and now oil is just shooting from the exhaust.

Any tips for this?

Last edited:
Edited for brevity:

I tipped my bike over two days ago and since then it has been spewing white smoke and now oil from the exhaust. Prior to that it was running perfectly, no leaks, no smoke, nothing. Checked oil level after tipping and it had lost a bit, so I refilled. Guessing that oil went into my combustion chamber and now is spewing from the exhaust?

I went for a two hour ride yesterday and it didn't burn off, in fact it seemed to get worse and now oil is just shooting from the exhaust.

Any tips for this?
Hi Spartacus,
Liquid oil? Not oil smoke? And shooting out? I shouldn't say you are mistaken but WTF???
Check the oil level again. After a 2-hour ride with oil being lost as described there shouldn't be much left in the crankcase.
Just perhaps when you refilled it you overfilled it?
What I'd do is drain the oil (remembering that there are TWO oil drain plugs and you have to remove BOTH of them to get all the oil out)
Then refill with the correct amount (two litres) of new oil and go for a test ride to see if the problem goes away.

Fredintoon --

I wish I was mistaken... Straight oil from the pipes AND smoke, enough to drench the right side of my rear tire. Checked oil level again after the 2-hour ride and it dropped significantly, below minimum threshold. Here's my thinking: after tipping the bike, a lot of the oil jumped to the combustion chamber. After topping it off, I rode and the smoke was coming out, seemed to only get worse after an hour in so I'm thinking the oil from my chamber came back down into the lower engine and may have been overflowing. Still doesn't explain why I'd have lost oil though?

Possibility of gas from the carbs getting into the oil causing problems?

I will clean the pipes out and drain oil this weekend and refill. Very disappointing as I've put a ton of work into this bike the last two years and had it running near perfect prior to the drop.

Hi Spartacus,
WTF, shit happens, eh?
But all that happened to the bike was that it fell over and lay on it's side for a while?
Reminds me of a reply in a newspaper column :-
" Dear worried browneyes; Do not be concerned because what you fear cannot happen from what you describe."
Laying the bike on it's side is an ol' biker trick to get the last drop of gas across the tank to it's petcock side to avoid that push to the gas station.
Done it a time or two myself before I made zeroing my odometer a part of my gas filling technique and I never got no oil-related problems from it.
Please let us know how the bike runs after the clean and refill.

Fred,

Thinking this might just be a coincidence then and I blew a ring in there somewhere. I laid her down for less than 20 seconds, immediately picked it back up. Gonna drain and refill and do a compression check when I get it back together. I just this past week got all my leaks plugged, both engine covers with new gaskets, finally got a clutch pushrod seal to stick without leaking, starter motor cover. Maybe the decrease in leaks created enough compression to finally blow a valve seal? Time will tell, thanks for the sound advice I got a lot to check out before I come to conclusions.

Not sure how hard or where it *bonked* when it dropped, but your description is similar to other members' experiences with headgaskets leaking from the camchain tunnel into the chamber(s). Try forum search on: "head retorque"...

Not sure how hard or where it *bonked* when it dropped, but your description is similar to other members' experiences with headgaskets leaking from the camchain tunnel into the chamber(s). Try forum search on: "head retorque"...

Left side drop, hard enough to break the clutch lever but no other exterior damage, was at a dead stop in my driveway. That's a great suggestion though thank you I will try a retorque before I do anything else, here's hoping

check the breather. might have filled with oil and not working. that would pressure in the crankcase and push oil by the valves
The breather as in the hose that previously ran to the air box, right ? I need to get brake check valves for the ends of those for sure.

The breather as in the hose that previously ran to the air box, right ? I need to get brake check valves for the ends of those for sure.
Yeah, that or run the hose down so it can pant oil vapor onto the chain like it did on grandpa's Norton.
That the breather's cast connector on the back of the cylinder may have gotten plugged up didn't occur to me but it being plugged sure would explain your symptoms.
You could always take it off and clean it and check the drain tube too, just to make sure.

Fred --

Sounds like a plan, for reference I should take off the cover (#14) in this diagram? http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042091f8700209bc786efb/cylinder-head
I have the hose end opened up, nothing in there but maybe towards the actual cover it's blocked?

I got 13 bolts into a head retorque before I snapped a bolt (#12 on that same diagram). Have to order some more bolts, unless I can find something suitable at a hardware store. Carbs are off to try and remedy the bogging issue, pilot circuits seem ok, gave them another clean out but I gotta say the carbs are spotless. Would a lean mixture cause me to bog? Or possibly cylinder dropping? Got some new sparkplugs because the left side looked oily as hell while the right looked deep black (indicating rich, which makes no sense). Will keep at it.

Hi Spartacus,
yes, #14 and also #16. Wash them off with kerosene and check the cavity behind them for debris, too.
Hardware store bolts may have the same length and thread pitch but most likely won't be Gr 8.8 quality or have the correct smaller head size.
You may have to bite the bullet and buy from a Yamaha dealer.

I got the breather off and cleaned out, everything is back together but now I have a problem. #13 and #15 from the cylinder head retorque snapped off when taking them out. They're extremely difficult to extract, trying to figure that out now before I can even do a proper compression/leakdown test. Any suggestions welcome

If you can weld a nut on the top of what is left of the bolt then you can finish removing it. Tig weld is best but careful mig weld will work also.

Back