Don't do this

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For those who think RTV is the way to go DONT DO IT. Im working on a Z1900 I picked up at an estate sale and have been tearing the engine apart for inspection. I discovered that the PO decided to forgo the gaskets and use RTV. He also used RTV to seal the cases and for good measure also used RTV on every seal he replaced.
DONT DO IT, in fact throw that shit away. Very few things I use it on. This is what I found in the sump screen, oil passage, seals and what came off the covers.

Attachments

• z1 sump.jpeg
    z1 sump.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 118
  • z1 seal.jpeg
    z1 seal.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 113
  • RTV in forks.jpeg
    RTV in forks.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 123
  • worms.jpeg
    worms.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 120
Clear suggests it may have been household, not automotive silicone. Obviously used in excess. Another case where one should apply the rule: “less is more”. I use it sparingly in certain applications but am careful the excess doesn’t ooze into the internals of the motor and am also careful the sealant is rated for the application / end use.

Last edited:
Well that certainly looks nasty! It looks like a pile of worms. o_O
My thought EXACTLY

I HATE finding that.
I guess the good news is that it's a red flag, warning you that the PO will have done all sorts of OTHER Tomfoolery like SAE bolts jammed in metric threads.

For those who think RTV is the way to go DONT DO IT. Im working on a Z1900 I picked up at an estate sale and have been tearing the engine apart for inspection. I discovered that the PO decided to forgo the gaskets and use RTV. He also used RTV to seal the cases and for good measure also used RTV on every seal he replaced.
DONT DO IT, in fact throw that shit away. Very few things I use it on. This is what I found in the sump screen, oil passage, seals and what came off the covers.
Yep, blew up a VW race engine when a "worm" got sucked into a main bearing oil galley. Very expensive lesson.

Well the saga continued with the silicone. Got it all out of the threads (see the pile and the tap) and found that the case was cracked in three places due to the hydraulic forces caused when tightening the case bolts with silicone in the threads. On broke out completely and had to be welded and the other two should not be a problem. Finised cases all clean and ready to reassemble.
pile 2.jpeg
tap.jpeg
weld.jpeg
crack 1.jpeg
crack 2.jpeg
finished cases.jpeg

My 11 year old Grandson is a quintessential gear head. Every time he comes to our house for a weekend stay over, he wants to go out to my shop to see what I'm currently messing with.

As a retired Aviation Mechanic of 30 years, one of the lessons I've tried to instill in him is that some people should never, ever touch tools!

I've purchased things that were so screwed up by the previous owner (like his XR80 we re-worked together) that he definitely understood the point I was trying to make.

I'll have to show him this thread next time he comes over just to further illustrate my point...wow, just wow!

My 11 year old Grandson is a quintessential gear head. Every time he comes to our house for a weekend stay over, he wants to go out to my shop to see what I'm currently messing with.

As a retired Aviation Mechanic of 30 years, one of the lessons I've tried to instill in him is that some people should never, ever touch tools!

I've purchased things that were so screwed up by the previous owner (like his XR80 we re-worked together) that he definitely understood the point I was trying to make.

I'll have to show him this thread next time he comes over just to further illustrate my point...wow, just wow!
I know what you mean.

Back