Doublecheck my wiring diagram?

cfboyd

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've got an '80 xs650s that I just put a new pamco and PMA in. Between the previous owner and myself, a bunch of the "bells & whistles" have been stripped off the bike. I'm about ready to make a new wiring harness for the bike as I have it set up now, but wiring isn't exactly my specialty and I'd really appreciate an extra pair of eyes on this wiring diagram I made to make sure I haven't missed anything or connected anything wrong. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram - NEW- SIMPLIFIED.pdf
    379.5 KB · Views: 324
Looks ok . Are you running lights all the time I don't see a switch to turn lights on off. Also one 10 amp fuse may have too much on it . Turn signal flashers unless you are running led tends to draw.
Here is one to look at

Attachments

• user8672_pic16634_1388351034.jpg
    user8672_pic16634_1388351034.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 298
It looks ok except for the 20 amp fuse. You should not have a fuse between the reg/rec red wire and battery. The load of the battery controls helps the reg/rec regulate the output. If the fuse blows it removes the load and the reg/rec can go nuts and send way to high a voltage to the system.
Move it to between the red wire from reg/rec to battery and the key switch.
Having all those things on one fuse is ok. They seldom get used all at once. If you look at a stock diagram most everything runs off a 10 amp fuse.
One thing I might suggest is to match the wire colors to stock. This will help us help you.
One thing I might suggest, on the first start unhook the ignition circuit from the rest of the system. Hook the ignition to a separate battery. This lets you run the bike while you check the charging system. If you leave it all hooked up when you start it there may be problems with the charging and it's possible for a PMA to send 20+ volt surges through the system. These high voltage spikes can damage the ignition.
Once you get it up and running, check the PMA output voltage. At idle it may be only 12-13 volts, but should increase to 14 to 14.5 volts by about 2000 rpms and never exceed that voltage at higher rpms.
Once you confirm proper PMA function then rehook the ignition to the bike.

Back