Dual Fire Coils

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Am I right in assuming these would work on our XS's?

I am looking at an Andrews unit, 2.8 Ohms for an 83, TCI equipped bike.

Stock coil seems a bit weak. Hard starting, some missing at idle on the right cylinder. I figure a new coil t 3X the output voltage wouldn't hurt at any rate. Not sold on the no-name stuff from out favourite vendor, and the green monster looks too much like a Dyna to instill any confidence. The only Dyna coils I ever bought were split and arcing to the frame from new, so eff that.

Is there any issue with using braided metal core plug wire with these? I will be using NGK resistor caps.

41EhV-v8DHL.jpg

I suspect any coil with 3x output would be at least 3x more prone to self destruct. I've been using a Honda MP08 coil for a long time. It's the same shape as stock but about 3/4" shorter. Around $10 used on ebay. Seems crazy reliable.

Last edited:
Or go this route:

$_57.JPG

I'm sure one of them would be good! Retain that vintage look I suppose. Heck, for $30, you aren't risking much.

Anyone remember Cir Cycle? A few years before my time.

^Never heard of them, but paint one red and bolt it on, and you might be ahead of the game.

Stranded wire core non-resistor plug wire is the norm on most bikes as far as I know. I'm not aware of any bikes that use resistor type plug wires, at least not any old bikes.

This Andrews coil uses the same plug-in style plug wires that cars do. I use VW Beetle wires.

EMPIPlugWire.jpg

Well, I got my Andrews coil mounted (eventually). Took more fussing then I thought it would. Eventually I had to resort to button head bolts to get enough clearance all around but that was mostly due to the small angle I was using. Anyhow, it fits well. I should throw some 90 degree boots at it though, the wires are a bit close to the head. No improvement in my idle, but wow, what an improvement in starting. 1/2 crank and it fires up. Before, I was cranking over until it either fired at the last moment before dying, or I had to resort to the kicker. The starter always worked after riding for awhile, but cold starts were touch and go. No longer.

My shock absorbing wire coiling needs some work....

Photo453_zpsukssew2z.jpg

Back