Dual sport advice.

griinder

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to pick up a dual sport, don't know anything about them really. would like to get something big enough for highway stints, but nimble enough to zip aroung the woods. advice?

I want to pick up a dual sport, don't know anything about them really. would like to get something big enough for highway stints, but nimble enough to zip aroung the woods. advice?

Go over to the www.advrider.com site. It has a huge membership, and specific sections on the different dual sport bikes. You could spend months reading their various threads.

Yes, the KLR 650 is popular, probably because it is cheap to buy new. Only $6000 in Canada and probably much less in the USA.

I had a BMX 650x loved it. KTM 525's are always the most fun if you really want to crash some trials. if your looking for a little scoot around the new yamaha 250x's are a blast as well

Another machine that's a lot of bang for the buck is the Suzuki VStrom; your choice of displacements, 650 or 1000 cc's; not nimble woods bikes, more adventure touring oriented. The Suzuki DRZ400 is very nice in the woods and will run down the highway at 70 mph without working up a sweat if geared right. It's also available in a supermotard version that makes me drool every time I see one, but at 5'6" I doubt I could get the saddle height to match my inseam; you can only go so far with modded dogbones before you trash the handling. There's a DRZ650 available as well but it tends to be a bit top heavy; there's a reason the KLR650 is more highly favored.

This is mine

Attachments

• 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 289
I have a KLR, and i love it for what it does. It's a 93 and the awesome thing is any parts from 87 to 2007 pretty much fit. Did the doohickey set the valve lash,replaced all the rad hoses and did longer fork preload spacers on mine and i wouldnt hesistate to take it anywhere.

klr2.jpg

I also have a 2010 Kawasaki Versys, and there is no way i would try to use it for the same thing i use the KLR for. The Versys is ok with grippy tires for packed dirt and gravel but thats it. I do use it to see the country though. Same for the vstrom....useless for real dual sporting.

v2.jpg

P7300038.jpg

I built a tw200. Small but fun as hell, i wish i still had it. With a supertrapp, unifilter, bigger jets, and new sprockets it wasn't too bad on the highway. I did a 400 mile trip with it no problem (if you're older i wouldn't recommend it!). Lots of fun off road.

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

I spent the last ~20 years racing enduros and hare scrambles so I have a bit of off road experience. (I just saw on the KTM Web site that Russell Bobbit is the national Enduro Champ. He and I used to race SETRA enduros together, only he was a damn sight younger and faster. Congrats, Russell!) To me, a dual sport should be about 80% dirt 20% street. With that in mind:

Me, I'd really like to have either a WR450 Yamaha or a CRF450X Honda with a Baja Designs dual sport kit. But the problem there is the damn Feds and some states have made registering the things nearly impossible, since they are sold new for 'off the road use only'. That means the EPA and NHTSA haven't given them the squeal of approval.

So if you want a DS with the least amount of hassle but are okay with 90% street/10% dirt:

The best all round dual sport is the Suzuki DR400. That bike can be registered for the road in every state with no hassles and has a huge aftermarket. Stock it will handle single track okay, not as good as a true dirt bike but enough to be entertaining. Lots of stuff from its off road only sibling will swap right over, making it a very viable candidate for some serious single track riding while still having the Fed squeal of approval. Its drawback is that it will get buzzy on the highway. In fact, I wouldn't go smaller than a 400 unless I knew I wasn't going to do any Interstate.

The KLR is a great bike, as is the XL650L Honda. Both are somewhat dated 80's technology but have massive aftermarket support that can update them considerably. They can be had dirt cheap used, will last longer than cockroaches and can be ridden on the highway with no fear. Their drawback is in anything tougher than two track they are a REAL handful. Good god, don't get the things stuck in a mudhole! But in the high Colorado mountains or the desert, they really shine. Of the two, the XR650L shares a lot of parts with the off road only XR600 so like the 400 Suzuki it's possible to make a real offroad firebreather that still has that gov't squeal. The KLR doesn't have an off road only brother to steal from, unfortunately and due to liquid cooling is fair amount heavier.

The Suzuki DS650 is a complete turd. It's not even a good street bike. Pfft.

The KTM 525 is probably the ultimate factory built DS, but pricey (if you can find a nice one that's not ragged out, that is).

I have a KLR, and i love it for what it does. It's a 93 and the awesome thing is any parts from 87 to 2007 pretty much fit. Did the doohickey set the valve lash,replaced all the rad hoses and did longer fork preload spacers on mine and i wouldnt hesistate to take it anywhere.

I also have a 2010 Kawasaki Versys, and there is no way i would try to use it for the same thing i use the KLR for. The Versys is ok with grippy tires for packed dirt and gravel but thats it. I do use it to see the country though. Same for the vstrom....useless for real dual sporting.

i wouldn't say USELESS
110115_132254.jpg

110115_135103.jpg

110115_143735.jpg

can be a handful but not USELESS.

I have always admired the KLR 650 but never bought one due to the seat height.
jefft

Back