Ducatiman is Doing an 8,000 mile trip in south America

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
AKA John Chaves, prez of the XS650 Society. He has a trip page on facebook, come join the fun as we follow along!
First days ride;

Rio - Ushuaia 2018 is at Hotel Ibis.
3 hrs · São José dos Pinhais, PR, Brazil ·
Day 1. We arrived at Curitiba, (state of Paraná) two hours later than originally programmed. The 107F/42C heat forced us to make 2 extra long stops to cool off. Thankfully, a summer shower came in about 150km from our destination renewing our energy.

The whole 875km (550mi) of highways that we travelled are maintained by 3rd parties (Brazil recognized it sucked at it and "privatized" most of its federal hwys) so they are in good shape. Some better than others but you will hit a toll plaza every 30 min or so. Bike's tolls cost US$0.40 so it's just the hassle.

Speaking of hassles, the f^##^&<%^ng speed cameras piss me off!

We might enter Argentina tomorrow. We'll see."

I think he made it public so anyone can see it..

chaves trip.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/joaoushuai...notif_id=1546549378044409&notif_t=page_invite
Think it's a Triumph adventure bike he borrowed rented for the trip.

What a great trip. I look forward to hearing all about it when he returns.
I thought he bought a Tenere for the trip???

Shipping and theft is such a problem in Brazil that he couldn't get the Tenere down there.

That’s an impressive trip! Hey, he’ll be just a ferry ride to Antarctica!

a post as he got ready.
I didn't have much time to prep but I got good tips from the Adv Rider forum and from the Ruba's YouTube channel. He's a Brazilian guy who had done this trip many times, publishing videos containing great info about border crossings, insurance requirements, etc.

I got a lot done since I got here. Installed extra piglets to power the phone charger and the air pump, got extra inner tubes, and tools that will allow me to remove & install both wheels.

I spent lots of hours working on the routes, consolidating info from many sources. I have assembled many variants so we have choices.

The Tiger 800XC has been serviced and got it's ECU replaced under a recall. We're hoping that it will fix the gas guzzling condition that was inflicting her lately. Fresh Michelin Anakee tires wrap up the mechanical prep.

The only thing left to do is to buy an antiseptic oinment to finish the first-aid kit.

Back