Dumb Speedo Question

Lousiana650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to XS650’s and motorcycles in general. The bike I bought came with a speedometer and cable, but I can’t figure out where on the bike the cable goes. If anyone could post a picture of it, I’d appreciate it

speedo.jpg

Yeah that's a speedo drive but it's NOT an XS650 speedo drive. Maybe back away a bit, take another shot and let us see some more of that front wheel and forks. Front end "transplants" from "Some other bike" are common.

The wheel looks like a Honda comstar.
Can't tell for sure about the forks or triples from those angles.
do you have a brake caliper that fits the fork? (picture of caliper.

Last edited:
Yeah caliper isn't xs either, triples might be. Give it a bit summone should stumble by that can ID them.

I'ma gonna throw this up here, You are holding a ticking time bomb.
You "new to XS650’s and motorcycles in general." And you bought a non running "bitsa" (bits a this bits a that) I'll posit the reason the seller was dumping was because he found out he couldn't just buy random bikes parts, throw them together, and go ride. Odds are he found himself boxed into several corners with no easy way out. The project sat and festered til he found YOU! Tread very carefully, even hardened mechanical veterans can really struggle trying to bring a bunch of parts together into a safe operating machine. The odds against a new to motorcycles guy, starting with someone else's mess, doing that are steep. AND you may not know all the problems until the cliff top is in your rear view mirror. We will do our best to help out but this is dangerous territory. I would suggest having an experienced hand give the bike a going over before you attempt to ride it.
Respectfully, gggGary

Last edited:
EAE4FB6C-EBAB-4827-BF19-5390F30393FE.jpeg
A53F092E-4637-430E-8AF6-3C3B7E6CA8C0.jpeg
I'ma gonna throw this up here, You are holding a ticking time bomb.
You "new to XS650’s and motorcycles in general." And you bought a non running "bitsa" (bits a this bits a that) I'll posit the reason the seller was dumping was because he found out he couldn't just buy random bikes parts, throw them together, and go ride. Odds are he found himself boxed into several corners with no easy way out. The project sat and festered til he found YOU! Tread very carefully, even hardened mechanical veterans can really struggle trying to bring a bunch of parts together into a safe operating machine. The odds against a new to motorcycles guy, starting with someone else's mess, doing that are steep. AND you may not know all the problems until the cliff top is in your rear view mirror. We will do our best to help out but this is dangerous territory. I would suggest having an experienced hand give the bike a going over before you attempt to ride it.
Respectfully, gggGary
Well said. This is a 1970 KO750 speedo drive

Back