Dyna beads how to

Airwolfie

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Installed some dyna beads last night, so I took some pics for you guys to see how easy it was!!

First, undo the valve stem core with a valve stem removal tool.

13800066534_eccb4236e2_b.jpg

I got the kit with the applicator, but you could probably makeshift something to work like this too. Screw on the clear tube onto the valve stem.

13799760105_4edc290845_b.jpg

Here they are!! They weigh a LOT for the size they are! Each bag is 1oz!

13799792933_3484bd41fc_b.jpg

Cut the corner off the plastic bag. I found that the one with the shorter end works better. Then CAREFULLY pour the beads into the applicator container. (holding it between my knees so I don't knock it over whilst taking pics!!)

13800128954_a5c4d69173_b.jpg

I also cut the end of the nozzle at an angle, it helped with the flow of the beads.

Here it is with the beads in and nozzle on.

13799841475_f8769df52d_b.jpg

CAREFULLY put the nozzle in the clear tube, and gently start tapping the applicator until the beads start running out. If the nozzle gets blocked, just pull the applicator back up to a vertical position, holding on to the pipe so it doesn't come off, and give it a few taps. Once clear, continue pouring them in until they all gone!

Here's a crappy little video, sorry about the lighting!

One they are in, simply put the valve core back in, check your tube is not pinching in the sides of the wheel, and inflate back up.

Job done!!:thumbsup:

I have a friend who is an engineer for a tire company. He says that if these worked, every vehicle manufacturer would be using them.

Hi Wolfie,
OK, so the beads install quite easily but do they work?
I've read about the beads before and on other lists the "wonderful" vs "snake oil" vote is ~50/50.
Give the beads a road test and add your vote to the ballot box, eh?

I have a friend who is an engineer for a tire company. He says that if these worked, every vehicle manufacturer would be using them.

My guy that did my tires for my mags used them to balance my wheels... he does tires every day this way and swears by it... My Honda has em and it's smooth as silk.

I'd assume they only work for the round cross section of a motorcycle tire... maybe your guy only thinks in terms of car / truck tires... :shrug:

Hi Wolfie,
OK, so the beads install quite easily but do they work?
I've read about the beads before and on other lists the "wonderful" vs "snake oil" vote is ~50/50.
Give the beads a road test and add your vote to the ballot box, eh?

I will be a while before I test them fred, I still have to finish my bike!!:laugh::shrug:

I'll be sure to let you know if they work or not!!

I see beads cheap on Amazon. I also have done the search and it seems they work, the naysayers tend toward the haven't tried it and I just know can't work type. Then again I can not find a side by side test either. The physics sound plausible, to me anyways. You can't run the test on a wheel balancer because an axle that "floats" is part of why they work. Should put some in my wife's shadow, it's got an annoying vibration at speed.

workd on mine. I needed almost two oz in the rear 16" Quite a wild ride. now smooth.
I mentioned to a guy at work, and he said the guys with the huge 4x4 truck tires use golf balls to balance them out for the street.

My friend does not work with MC tires, but Dyna Beads claim to work on car & truck tires too.

It seems like it would be simple enough to put a wheel assembly on a high speed balancer, check it, if it's out at least a little bit add the beads, and then check it again. Why has such a simple demonstration not been attempted? It seems like if I were trying to sell them I would want to demonstrate that they work, not just claim it.

Love me some dynabeads. I have them in all of of my moto tires. I will say that low speed (<5mph) from a stop feels different, but not bad, than traditional wheel weights, but once rolling they are smooth as ever.

Yes it does seem that the wheel would have to be spinning fast enough to distribute them in order for them to work. I'll keep watching for info and let you guys know if I try them when I redo my wheels.

I'd experimented a ton with dynamic balancing like this. The only thing I've ever had success with was Dynabeads, specifically.

I've tried Dynabeads, Airsoft pellets, and even environment safe antifreeze... The only thing that's worked are the Dynabeads.

Dynabeads are very small ceramic pellets - their density I think is the key. You can sometimes hear the settling of the beads when coming to a stop, it's a tad strange, but it's very faint sound, so it's not obnoxious or bothersome at all.

All of my experience is with offroad & cars. Originally the offroad tests were for my offroader. As you're in the woods, unless you're running beadlocks, the bead can slip just slightly, making the balance of the tire not only be not correct, but making even worse than being balanced at all!

I have never tried them on a motorcycle, but I see no reason why they wouldn't let it roll nicely!

Dave

If you read up at the web site they talk about how tire design. Wide low profile tires don't balance as well as normal tires. Most any tire that rolls will benefit from Dyna Beads.
They work because of the density. They are very heavy for the size. Like lead wheel weights.
I use them in everything. Motorcycles my van, the utility trailer, the boat trailer. If I used the camper trailer for more than storage, those tires would get Dyna Beads.
I had my 75 XS650 tires balanced when I put on the Kenda tires. When I replaced them with the Bridgestones They felt about the same as the Kenda's. I pulled the weights off the front and rode it. A very great increase in vibes.
I then Installed the Dyna Beads and rode it. Very great increase in smoothness. I then did the same with the rear, pulled the weights, rode it, added the Dyna Beads, rode it.
The bike was so much smoother I ordered enough for everything.
On the Harley the effect was as great a change. I think this was due to the better natural balance of the Higher priced Dunlop's on it. The Harley tires were as I recall, $225 for the last pair I bought. The Bridge Stones were like $150 a pair.
The change on the van was like the 75, very great improvement.
On the Harley it added a few thousand miles to the tire life.
So if you want to test them buy a kit and try them. Mark where the weights were on your wheel before you remove them and record the weights as well. You can always put them back on.
You can also transfer them from the old to the new. So it's a one time purchase for the life of the bike, not just the life of the tire.
Leo

I have seen devices that work with the same principles as the Dyna Beads. These devices hook to the crank and dynamically balance an engine.
I have seen these for Harley's.
Leo

I think you can only get Dyna Beads at www.innovativebalancing.com
I don't think they sell them on Ebay.
I have not tried any other brands but if they are the same as Dyna Beads they should work fine.
I followed the link. They appear to be the same as Dyna Beads. Dyna beads when bought as a kit don't come with the valve core tool, but does come with a bottle to help pour the beads in the valve stem.
Finding a small bottle shouldn't be hard to find. The beads last forever, can be reused in many tires. The few extra bucks won't effect the yearly cost by much when you figure them over 10, 15, or 20 years. Your money do as you wish.
Leo

Last edited:
You can't run the test on a wheel balancer because an axle that "floats" is part of why they work.
If they worked, there'd be no wheel balancers around to test them with. Plus little ceramic beads would be littering the country :)

Back