E-ignition diagnosis help needed

krza

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I have a 1975 XS650, custom tracker sort of thing.

After rebuilding the motor I installed the Pamco e-ignition and e-advance. I’m not a pro mechanic or electrician, but I’m good enough to follow directions and solder some good connections and install everything correctly.

The e-advancer ended up quitting on me. I only know this because I have a ‘78 XS650 with an e-ignition and advance, and I pulled the advance out of that and installed it and the bike ran again. I emailed Pamco Pete and I think he thought it was my error causing the advance to quit working—I don’t blame Pete, I’m sure he emails with lots of kooks that have no idea what they’re doing.

Well eventually that advance went out, too. So I put a mechanical advance back in it and ran it that way.

Last September, the ignition went out and stranded me. No spark.

I read on the internet that Pamco Pete folded up his business, so I bought a Mike’s XS e-ignition (Pamco clone from what I can tell).

And now, after limited riding (been riding with it installed for about 3 weeks, maybe 200 miles total), that one went out.

I’m running an Accel 140403s dual fire coil with RFI suppression core wires and B7ES plugs gapped to .035. The bike honestly runs amazing with the setup. Great power and smooth advance. The ignition is wired up correctly and grounded to a frame tab with good ground. The charging system is within 13.2 - 14.4 volts and doesn’t have any over charge issues. It’s a stock charging system with a solid state regulator/rectifier—basic stuff.

Anyone have any ideas what might cause these ignitions and advances to go bad?

Back