Early (70-73) rear fender mounting issues

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So the early rear fender mounting system is a bit hmm let's say hokey, or maybe shaky yeah that's it, it's all kind of shaky.
Most have had sissy bars, luggage racks or other "improvements" kludged on top of an already sketchy system of mounts.
Has anyone done some (re)engineering? cracks, broken hoops, worn away mounting holes, worn out rubber parts are common. I think they all need a bit of help. I'm casting about for ideas on some remedies that maintain stock appearance. Will post up some typical "issues" pics and what I'm thinking about for subtle fixes. Would love to hear what yuse early guys riders have done.

I hear ya on the shaky/wobbly rear fender, reworked mine several years ago. I recall that getting the rear support functionally correct, where the fender is held up by the rail/loop, is the most important part, as it supports all the weight. At the time, I wasn't happy with the design of that particular area, and the special curved rubber bush (that goes between the rail and fender) wasn't available, so had to cook something up. I'll get out there later and try to remember what I did...

Some typical pics/issues.

xs1 fenders 031.jpg

xs1 fenders 034.jpg

xs1 fenders 037.jpg

xs1b 001.jpg

xs1b 002.jpg

yes that rubber saddle gets really worn out and the fender knifes it's way into the stay bolt. have to go get some grommets. Thinking~~~ I might see what can be fabbed with two part bumper epoxy and some fuel hose.

The fender has a doubler but will probably add another or at least a section maybe epoxy it in.

Yeah, your rear fender mounting hole is pretty wallowed out, worse than mine was.

It's been 17 years since I fooled with that area, can't remember exactly what I used. Did fit a grommet into the hole, but had to make the upper u-channel damper from something, maybe from an appliance mount or something. It's somewhat larger than stock, and holds the rear fender quite still.

The other challenge was to snug-up and position the lower-front mounts to get the fender to sit vertical and centered over the rear wheel...

Attachments

• RearFenderXS1B-07.jpg
    RearFenderXS1B-07.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 213
  • RearFenderXS1B-04.jpg
    RearFenderXS1B-04.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 231
  • RearFenderXS1B-01.jpg
    RearFenderXS1B-01.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 208
  • RearFenderXS1B-05.jpg
    RearFenderXS1B-05.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for the pics. That last pic gives me an idea, seal the fender bottom with truck bed coating. Is that what you did? Stop corrosion and help damp out vibration. Yes the front rubber bumpers are all wallered out.

I cleaned/scuffed/painted the undersides of both fenders with some version of a tough rustproof exterior black. Mud and such doesn't stick well, and hopefully the rusting is halted...

Back