Early (round) footpegs vs later (square) footpegs.

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I had serious plans for fitting moderate rearsets to my XS650D, but a recent knee injury/issue sort of put a spanner in the works for that. So for now, I need to stay with the stock setup. As the peg rubbers are getting pretty worn, they need replacing. I think the earlier, round pegs just look better than the later square/rectangular ones.
I am aware that the steel pegs are different as well, basically "corner up" for the early type vs "flat up" for the later. That is no problem, as I plan on making new pegs from aluminum or SS if I decide to use the older type.
So here is the question: Do the early type transmit more vibrations, wear quicker, or have any other downside?

Motorlana do a nice round peg I think he calls them classic Brit Style I am waiting on them to restock and hope he emails me soon. Slight rounding of the steel square is all that is need to fit. Sick of the shit rubber ones. I get about 4 months out of my left one. Shit me to tears!!

You must be using aftermarket replacement rubber covers. They don't last and wear out very quickly. The originals are still in pretty good shape on my '78, although the left one is wearing. But, neither is as bad as the totally worn out aftermarket ones that came on my '83. They were probably only on there a few years and were shot. I replaced them with used originals. New originals are still available from Yamaha but pretty expensive (about $25). I routinely search eBay for them, hoping to run across a deal. I did score one so far for about $15. Seems expensive but I actually saved like $10. If you want one that lasts, you may have to spring for an original.

Hey 5t yep those originals are amazing and last along time! I do run after market rubbers
Just the left shift side plus wearing work boots seems to shred the hell of mine.
I had it just fall off one day and it was glued on too.
I have seen them on eBay but shipping kills me downunder.
Keen to try the round ones and see how they hold up.

Motorlana do a nice round peg I think he calls them classic Brit Style I am waiting on them to restock and hope he emails me soon. Slight rounding of the steel square is all that is need to fit. Sick of the shit rubber ones. I get about 4 months out of my left one. Shit me to tears!!
Those do look very British, but my question was specifically about the early, round oem type vs. the later square oem type (and I suspect those are a bit heavier than the earlier type)

You must be using aftermarket replacement rubber covers. They don't last and wear out very quickly. The originals are still in pretty good shape on my '78, although the left one is wearing. But, neither is as bad as the totally worn out aftermarket ones that came on my '83. They were probably only on there a few years and were shot. I replaced them with used originals. New originals are still available from Yamaha but pretty expensive (about $25). I routinely search eBay for them, hoping to run across a deal. I did score one so far for about $15. Seems expensive but I actually saved like $10. If you want one that lasts, you may have to spring for an original.
I checked cmsnl.com in the Netherlands for NOS round/ early type rubber, but they have none in stock. But some "alternative", non-oem for 23 Euro each......Heiden is most likely cheaper than that.

Back