Early to Late valve cover mod, blame the Mailman......

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda surprised no one's done this before. I'll let the pics tell the story.
DSCN0527.JPG DSCN0523.JPG
Just a dome nut stuck in there so the point of the live center didn't poke a dent in the cover.

DSCN0530.JPG
Went slick and easy
DSCN0535.JPG DSCN0536.JPG
Things didn't go quite as well in the 4 jaw :doh:

DSCN0537.JPG DSCN0538.JPG
Good thing I tried it on a "plain" 4 hole cover first.
Will need to set up a holding jig for these, might be better to do the decompression cover with a boring bar on the mill. Maybe a clamping jig for any other 3 hole covers I might do..

DSCN0531.JPG
So mailman I have three covers ready to go. Want to do this exchange?
And this was my last three gggGary's O-rings, time to order another batch.

Last edited:
Ha! Gary, I wandered what you were up to. :laugh2: For those of you wandering what this is about, I had contacted Gary to see if he had a set of later model valve covers that had that machined groove for an o ring. I wanted them for my XS2.
Gary you surprised me, I appreciate your efforts. Actually I want to hang on to my originals, my thoughts were to buy a four cover set just to mess around with. I’m thinking of even trying to take my compression release and cable off and just running a plain cover on there, since I do not use the compression release anyways.
There are several sets available on EBay , but naturally I’d rather do business with you if possible.

So here’s where I’m at. I am still interested in a four cover set and that set of red o rings. If you want to sell the ones you machined or something else entirely that’s fine. Can the scratches on that square one be removed?

I have some aluminum blanks I use to make rotor spacers. I can turn a recess in them to accept the three hole covers. The 4 hole are a bit trickier 'specially the decompression ones.

Here ya go...
100_0504.JPG 100_0505.JPG 100_0506.JPG
...just enough spring, with the slit, to open and close a few thou to make up for minor casting differences. Thinkin' four holer could be done quite similar.
Gonna have to box this up and send it off to the land of cheese & sausage after the holiday.

Last edited:
I'll mess around today and see if four hole covers can be done the same way. Not too sure about decompression ones, don't have one to figure out how much different they are.
Do I just send them to City Hall - ATTN: Baron of Baraboo?

4-hole worked out 'bout the same
100_0507.JPG 100_0508.JPG 100_0509.JPG
Kinda hard to maintain good concentricity grabbing the outside of a cast part, but still close enough for what it is. One three holer had to be packed out a bit with some card stock, to get a good bite and center it up a bit better.
Get 'em packed up and headed across the lake in the AM.

Certainly could. Rotating the cover in the ring and/or the ring in the chuck I was able to stay within 4 or 5 thou, YMMV. Dialing in each individual on would just be more time, hence the attempt to make the ring clamp and center (more or less) in one shot in the 3-jaw. Guess it boils down to how precise you want to get.

Looking through ones Yamaha made their groove isn't always concentric to the center lip either o_O
Hey Bob I got a great deal on a (currently) air conditioned barn, conveniently prefilled with a lifetime supply of XS projects. :sneaky:

Looking through ones Yamaha made their groove isn't always concentric to the center lip either o_O
Hey Bob I got a great deal on a (currently) air conditioned barn, conveniently prefilled with a lifetime supply of XS projects. :sneaky:

Haha! :laugh2: I don’t think I’m built for Wisconsin winters! I’m a desert lizard.

Hey Beags: I just happen to have a complete set of "early" covers with the plain 4 hole, all polished up and waiting for o-ring grooves! :bike:
If truth be told, I think I had em in a bin, polished them to use on a motor I was working on and THEN realized they weren't late model. :doh:
Been sitting out there all wrapped up ever since.

Back