Earth (Chassis) ground

imcgyver

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 1981 XS650 II all stock, I am having some turn signal issues and part of the trouble shooting I wand to check all chassis (earth) grounds but I want to make sure find and check all of them all, can anyone tell me where they are? I want to make sure I do not miss any hidden ones.
Thank you for your time and response Ron

There is only one that I'm aware of. A ground wire comes out of the main harness up around the coil and is attached to the frame with one of the coil mounting screws. I wire wheel it's ring crimp clean and shiny, along with the spot on the frame it attaches to. I also coat both with copper anti-seize. Besides warding off corrosion, I think the copper bits in the anti-seize will help promote a good electrical connection.

Each turn signal has a separate ground wire with a ring terminal attached to it's mounting stud, trapped under the mounting nut. Make sure those are all clean too.

In the headlight bucket there ground wire(black wire) that the ground wires for the turns plug into. There are several others ground wires that plug into this ground wire. Make sure all the connections to this ground wire are clean and tight.
This ground wire runs the full length of the bike. It has several places where it tee's off. One of these is te connection at tye upper engine mount that 5twins talked about.
Where this wire ends up is at the in the wire bundle that comes out by the rear fender that the rear turns, and brake/tail light, and license plate light hook their grounds too.
Make sure all those connections are clean and tight.
Leo

Back