Easiest Springer Front End Set-up???

xsgirl

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone...
Im a newbie to this forum...and after a bit of advice/help from all you more talented & experienced XS fans.
I would love to put a Springer front end on my xs, yes, I have read all I can find on this forum to do with this topic. But wanted to put it out there .... (again) :)

From your experience, what has been the easiest Springer Front End set-up available?

I do want to keep my front brakes, and would also love to keep the stock front wheel. I would love to hear what people have done that works well.

Buying...

I have been researching who sells Springers, etc.....But there are so many out there. Im sure there are some that work better, and probably better to buy from some places than others.

Just read your reply Ghetto ..... If using the DNA set-up, any idea if that would require a different front wheel, brake set-up?

I actually like the original XS Wheels, so if I have to swap wheels, I would love something similar to it, suits the look I'm after more than spoke wheels. :)

The DNA is setup for harley wheels, thats why it is easier to just run one instead of adapting a metric wheel to fit. It can be done though, but it may end up being an expensive project.

I think the easiest way to fit the stock wheel to a springer is to take the rocker off, take them to a machine shop. Have them make a set just like the ones off the springer, but have the axle hole drilled to match the stock axle.

You can convert the XS wheel to fit a harley axle to run the DNA setup. Saw it somewhere in the link I posted.

I couldn't see anything in that link about wheel bearings, Unless I'm mistaken - they were referring to 1" harley bearings that get the DNA springer to Fit the XS Head stem?

Both ideas about getting the XS wheel to fit are great. I've got a good mate in a machine shop, so I'm thinking that way might be easier for me. But I guess when I have the springer in front of me I'll be able to see if making up custom rockers is more of a mission than getting different bearing etc. to run with a harley axle instead.

Just wanted to confirm what people have used on the XS (dont want to go buying the wrong thing - especially since I have to get it all shipped to Australia).

DNA 2" under - are there different lengths available (might be a stupid question), but I have seen different lengths on Ebay.

And... where are people buying them from? Are the Ebay DNA springer's fine?

Ya you can get DNA Springers for like 380 shipped on ebay. 2 under is the stock length. Regular would be 2" longer, +2 would be 4" longer etc.

Your right, I have found cheaper one's on ebay.

I understand how they measure them now, but looking on Ebay and a few other sites - some are saying 2" under are 20" from bottom of tree to axle and others are saying 2" under are 22".
Or could that difference be from them measuring from different Places?

So the question is - Which should it be? 20" or 22"??

I have a springer on a project I'am ( still ) working on.
Uses gswheels . Which had a smaller axle . So tuesday I go to IBT .Bearing company . And get a metric set of bearing with a little larger than 3/4 ID . Now I can turn down a step bushing and use a harley axle . And have new bearings at the same time . A little more easy to make a step bushing then a new rocker.

Last edited:
I ended up going with DNA springer off Ebay, seemed the easiest option, being in Australia, to get it posted here.
I recieved it yesterday :) ..I'm waiting on my Tapered bearing Kits to come so I can install it.
Dr Mac ..your right, it would be easier doing the bearing option. Now I've seen the Rocker, it is a bit more complex than I thought.
Will be giving it a go on the Weekend, see what I can get to work :)

Dr Mac...your springer project an XS650?

I just put one on mine. Got it off ebay for $368 with free shipping. I also bought an adapter on there from bros mfg. You would just need to have the steering nut under the top clamp milled down and remove the factory stops off the neck. It was fairly simple and looks completely badass! But consider different risers will be needed.

Your lucky you live in America and get things so cheap AND free shipping. I had to pay $200 shipping.
What is the Adapter for?
Yea, I saw that the stops are different. Did you keep the XS wheel? Yea..I want different bars anyway..the ones my bike came with are pretty ordinary.

It is a simple solution to mount a harley font end to a xs650. You first slide it on the harley stem then use the lower race on top of that put in your ball bearings and voila! Like i said previously, just shorten the stem nut under the top clamp and its a roller. I'm runnin a 21" but would love to have a dirtbike 23".

Back