EBC Clutch Springs

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I got fed up with the clutch slippage when giving it the beans so I ordered a set of +15% stronger EBC clutch springs and installed them. Unfortunately, the new springs were of a gauge only .005" thicker than the ones that came out. There were 8 coils instead of nine. I am not particularly confident these are going to be a whole lot stronger then the ones I took out. I hesitate to say OEM springs since they had some blue paint on them which seems to me to indicate some sort of aftermarket items. Who knows? Anyway, has anyone had good luck with these?

I just installed Vesrah springs in mine. The friction plates were all measured in spec. I bought the springs on eBay <$15 to my door. The engine is still on the bench, so I can’t report on the results at this time. The OE springs had 57,000 miles and the clutch was slipping.

I installed the EBC CSK014 set of springs in the 81 Special and all clutch slip stopped. I did not notice any difference at the perch regarding more effort being required, but I do have the clutch cable routed to avoid any tight bends i.e. the cable ran straight up under the tank and out the gap between the lower triple tree, forks and bottom of the headlight. The cable then just swooped up from there to the perch. Perhaps not as nice to look at but certainly makes the clutch easy to pull in.

Last edited:
The stock springs in the late model 6 plate clutch had blue paint on them so what you found is most likely original.

be4mDZL.jpg

I've been putting aftermarket heavy duty springs in all my Jap bike clutches for many years and they always seem to help.

I have always used Barnett plates and springs and have never seen any sign of slip even with engines with "Stupid Fast " mods.
I do like the idea of the extra plate mod.

When I was working on the clutch in my 750 kitted 75, I found a set of Kibble White 70 lb. springs.
I'm not sure how much stronger than stock these might be but along with the Fordo fritchion plates an cleaning all the color off the steels with 150 grit sandpaper, left a bit of a coarse fuinish to them, Beveled the sharp edges of the steels and fritcion plates teeth were they touched the hub and shell of the clutch to reduce any chance of binding on opening or closing of the pressure plate.
New well lubed cable and worm. It pulled a bit harder stock, but not that much.
This is a good working clutch now. I can use two fingers on the lever to operate the clutch.
When it engages, it's there right now.
Leo

I got fed up with the clutch slippage when giving it the beans so I ordered a set of +15% stronger EBC clutch springs and installed them. Unfortunately, the new springs were of a gauge only .005" thicker than the ones that came out. There were 8 coils instead of nine. I am not particularly confident these are going to be a whole lot stronger then the ones I took out. I hesitate to say OEM springs since they had some blue paint on them which seems to me to indicate some sort of aftermarket items. Who knows? Anyway, has anyone had good luck with these?
Spring rate is directly and inversely dependent on the number of coils, so going from 9 to 8 will make them more than 10% stiffer just by that. Increased wire thickness will also increase spring stiffness, by the 4th power of the increase. So even a 5 thou increase will have a significant influence on the spring rate as well.

Contrary to what most people believe, steel grade has close to zero direct influence on spring rate. But fewer coils may cause larger elastic deformation per coil, hence a higher yield strain steel may be required to avoid permanent deformation of the spring.

Good ole madness a poorly documented 750 would spin the clutch when it came on the cam at 5K, put in heavy duty springs made little difference. did the ippytattoo conversion and clutch slip is gone.
FULL DISCLOSURE. After two years of varied use. I do notice the clutch "JUDDERS" on the first drop into gear and departure of the day, that's it, no issues after. I ride several bikes and it's not a huge deal so tend to forget. I will try to do a in gear, clutch in, break loose the plates routine, see if it stops the one time judder.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm the EBC part number for springs for my ‘76? Looked on FleaBay and there seems to be some conflicting info. Appears to be CSK014 but some reference charts say this won’t work on the ‘76. For example on the Fortnine site is says not expected to fit. Thx

Last edited:
Looks like the CSK2 set is the one you need, although if you try some outlets (Amaz.) it will tell you it doesn't fit. I would trust someone like T.C. Bros. more than the Everything Store to know what works.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/1974-79-clutch-springs-yamaha-xs650.html
Thx for the link. This is where the confusion is. On the EBC website they say the CSK014 is correct yet tcbros and other reputable dealer sites tell me to use the CSK2 springs. I will most likely need to source them from the US which is a long and costly process for we Canucks so I want to be sure I get the correct springs.

Sirius Consolidated is in Ontario. They have clutch springs. I have used this company several times, including very recently. I've been completely satisfied each time.
Thanks for the lead. Never heard of them before but could be handy for future purchases. Sent them an email already.

They don’t have a user friendly website but pricing looks good. I think I’m comparing apples to apples and their Athena gasket set is nearly $100 Cdn cheaper than XS650Direct! Well worth looking at especially if you’re north of the border.

Last edited:
Yes that was on my ‘77 , I also installed a later model clutch assembly ( from a ‘75 ) into my XS2. I used all the exact same parts in it. I’m sure the clutch assembly in your ‘76 is the same as my ‘77.
Good luck with your clutch!

Back