EFI what Throttle bodies?

racefix

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any success with EFI on an XS as im considering it for my current bike over dellortos.

If they have what Throttle Bodies have been used, i'm tinking of BMW 650 or 800 TB's but i think they are 45mm, can anyone shed some experience?

Cheers!

hi somebody in australia ,,,has used Kaw...,, fuel injection ... set up with thottle body ...along with the electronic stuff as well regards oldbiker

I found this EFI kit:
400cc to 800cc Small Engine EFI Kits
www.ecotrons.com/400cc_to_800cc_Engine_EFI_kit.html
400cc_800cc_EFI_kit.jpg

That's a parrallel twin. We don't have a Twin TB for it.

You need to find the TB first. We can provide the rest of the EFI kit. one example is to buy a used one, like 46 BMW F 800 TB.

I have a customer converting Yamaha XLZ 750 now.

It is going to be a customer project. You do your tuning.

thx, Matt

2 same throttle bodies linked together.

yes. You make sure the installations. We provide the rest of the efi kit.
It is a customer project then.
I will support you through the process.
$699 total price.

Thanks.
Matt

Matt Advised that I would still need to purchase a BMW F 800 Throttle Body for the conversion:
w056.jpg

indostiker.com/2011/12/injection-kit-for-small-engines-from-ecotrons.html/
Hello all ,Injection kit for small engines from Ecotrons is useful For those of you who like to modify the engine. This time there is an alternative kit to change the carburetion system from carburetor to fuel injection. This product is named Ecotrons from America. Ease kits are provided complete and only Plug N Play. Its already closed loop injection means that there is a O2 sensor in the exhaust that could correct the result the exhaust gas by the ECU.

Not only that, also provided the software for tunning ECU. ECU can control ignition or ignition system is controlled directly by the CDI apart from ECU, so the CDI could use anything such as already programmable so that the results are getting the maximum

This EFI kit has below features:

Electronic fuel injection (EFI)
ECU controlled ignition system (CDI or inductive coil)
Plug-aNd-Play (PNP) with an O2 sensor
Dual fuel maps selectable by a manual switch (Performance Switch: ECO vs. RICH Mode)
High fuel efficiency and low carbon emissions
Decel-fuel-cut-off
On board self-diagnosis with a MIL lamp
Performance tuning for advanced users
On-the-fly calibration

www.ecotrons.com/faqs.html
Frequently Asked Questions

How easy is the EFI conversion?

The conversion is fairly easy, if you don't mind some hands-on work.

Often our customers take this as fun to convert a carburetor engine to an EFI engine.
The success of the conversion itself and the achievement of better performance, or fuel economy, or the help to the enviroment, depending on your choice of tuning, are often satisfying to justify the efforts.

45mm is HUGE, and it will cause tuning issues and be very jumpy at low throttle. I wouldn't run ones over the size of the stock carb, even a gsxr 38mm ITB set up will outflow what these engine are capable of. I was thinking that GPZ1100 31mm throttle bodies would be about perfect.

One of the main benefits of owning an XS650 is its simplicity. Its a simple bike with just a few simple parts and that makes it easy to maintain. Its OK to add a lot of complex parts if there is a reward for doing so. I can't see any reward to be received from adding all these parts and spending lots of bucks. These bikes run very well on stock Mikuni carbs and Pamco ignition.
If you want EFI, just buy a used bike that was originally designed for EFI.

I'm thinking aout efi with a microsquirt. But I've done it on an old triumph spitfire so I have experience. The only reason I'm thinking about it is I can set it up for about the same as a pamco and flat/round slide carbs. Once set up if well tuned you'll improve milage and starting, how much better depends on the tune.

It seems like it would be quite a challenge (and expensive) to install EFI on an XS650, but if you do it, be sure to reply back here so we can all earn something new, and good luck.

That would be an interesting project. And if you devoted the time to get it figured out, I'd prolly be interested. For significant elevation changes, pinging control for medium to high compression engines in really warm temps, starting/warm up up in 10F weather, and most importantly, the sealed system, it can't be beat.

By "sealed system", I mean just that. All carbs are vented to atmosphere - they have to be. Which means the ethanol crap the gov't keeps foisting on the population continually evaporates if you leave the bike sitting for a month or so (at least here in AZ; YMMV in cooler temps), gumming up the works. I am lucky/foolish enough to have several bikes, and for the runners, I have to ensure each is ridden a few hundred miles each month. I cannot go two months; that means I have to pull the carbs and strip 'em down to remove the ethanol that has turned to muck. I use Seafoam when I have to put a bike up for longer maintenance - it helps somewhat, but it cannot keep the ethanol from breaking down. This is a ROYAL PITA. Year, I know... woe is me...:whistle:

OTOH, our XR1200/Sidecar rig with FI can go literally 3-4 months between rides - I've never gone longer than that. Just like your car, with a sealed fuel system the evaporation issue is a non-issue. I do not know how long it can go - but it is much better than carbs.

So... if someone figures it out... I'm prolly in.

That said, maybe it might be easier to start with something closer to our displacement? A Triumph Sprint FI system could be cut down to (2) injectors, and it would perfectly match our displacement.

Triumph%20Sprint%20955.jpg

That would be a decent choice, but $150 purchase price for the TB's is only the start. You need 120 mm. center-to-center spacing to match XS650 intake ports, which calls for a custom bracket (no big deal), custom fuel rail (bigger issue, but not that hard), and custom throttle shaft. For that last item you'll need either pro level machining skills and gear to match or a deep pocket.

A large number of bike TBs are just held to each other with bolts, so with some spacers changing the distance is simple. Each one has its own throttle shaft, so between them is just a linkage bar, not nearly as hard to do.

Rough cost to do a microsquirt.
Ecu $300
Gsxr TB $50-100
Wideband $125
Fuel pump $30
Sensors $50-hundreds
Trigger wheel $20
Fuel rail $50
Tunerstudio $70
I might have missed a few things, but that is the basic list of parts, so around $700 to $1000 you should be able to convert to efi.

*edit* Forgot a pair of LS coils $20 or so from the junkyard.

Last edited:
Back