Electric Start Button Won't Work

motomarv

1977 XS650
Reaction score
Okay, so the guy I bought my bike from installed an alternative start button because the one in the right-hand switch unit's button didn't work. The alternative button worked but it bothered me to have that on the bike. He said the problem with the original start button was probably in the unit, so I replaced the unit. But, alas, the start button is still not working. Everything else in the unit works fine. Any suggestions on what I need to do (besides forget about the electric start)? I want to have it available, just in case, and if it's on the bike, I want it to work.

the starter button works by grounding the circuit. Start at the relay, and work back towards the button. What you'll probably find is that the button or spring or seat is corroded, or that the wire is broken.

You need to have a ground wire from the bars to the frame, the rubber mounts isolate the bars from the bike. Try just clamping a wire from your bars to the frame, see if that cures it. Common fault with these machines. :cheers:

The start button uses the ground for the horn, which contacts the handle bars on the left side and over to the start button on the right through the bars.

The start button uses the ground for the horn, which contacts the handle bars on the left side and over to the start button on the right through the bars.
depends on what year it is if it has the ground on the horn side, and if the bars have been painted:doh: no ground

that explains why his alternative start button worked. he had it wired with a separate ground. the bars are painted. would taking the paint off under the switch unit take care of my problem, or is it more complicated than that? They didn't teach me this stuff in music school!

clean paint from under switches and from handlebar clamps, a ground wire from the riser mount bolt to the frame couldn't hurt what year is the bike? does the left switch have a black (ground wire) in the it? oops see it's a 77, yes it should have the ground from the left side

Last edited:
Piss off all the rubs, throw away the electric foot and use the kicker. You'll be the only "old skool hard core" person at the coffee shop!:laugh:

I just love it when a successful fix doesn't cost. Good job fellas.
On a sideways topic there closeby. My start button broke , popped out and fell on the ground.:wtf: While doing a search on where to get one I ran across a fellow who machines them out of aluuuuuminium as my friends across the pond would say. The same button is used for the horn. I installed the metal one and doubt I can ever wear it out. Especially as my damn electric foot has been sort of intermittent. The PAMCO makes her really easy to kick over though. The button mans site: http://www.freewebs.com/kibokojoe/

Arrgghh....
went to start my 78 this morning and my thumb came up on an empty hole where the starter button used to be.... was going to stick my knife in the hole to ground the circuit, and then I remembered the old kick start.
What a old lazy fart I'm becomming. They kick start was kind of exciting. Good to know I can still put some butt into it.
May have to get one of those metal buttons as my plastic one is lost on the road somewhere and most likely broken anyway.

The start and horn button were the same on many of the Jap bikes from this era. You can usually scrounge one from any old control assembly, no matter what make or model it came from.

The ones on the button mans site: http://www.freewebs.com/kibokojoe/
are inexpensive and very cool, looks like machined out of billet stock in either aluminum or some plastic material for the positive ground apps. 5 bucks plus another buck to ship, I thought was a deal.

Yes the horn and starter buttons are the same on the xs.

But I'm getting used to the kick start and it's cool now that I can fire her on the first kick... :)

Back