electric starter DOH!!!

sseres

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
ok, so I redid the right hand cover and found I'd forgotten a teeny tiny washer, but it didn't seem to fix it:

took out the starter gear, I rebent the bendix. Same symptom!!

Took a look at this:

full

I totally forgot piece #16. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So, moral of this story is don't forget piece #16 :laugh:

I'm a trans tech for a living, and one time I had just finished a job, rebuilt a trans and had it all back in the vehicle. I look at my bench and see a thrust bearing sitting there...... D%&$!

Don'tcha just hate that? :)

And THEN... Guess what ELSE I did? I get it all buttoned up, all cleaned up and looking promising, but it wouldn't crank. Sounded like my battery was sick, although it wasn't yesterday, and all the lights seemed to work. So, I hooked on the charger and walked away for about two hours. I came back and DANGIT if it was doing the same DANGIT thing! :wtf:

So I watched my Seahawks play well (and win legally) and it occurred to me that, being the smarty I think I am, i had stuffed corks into the exhaust ports when I had the exhaust off to do all the stuff I've been doing... And suddenly I don't know where they are! They're a bit small for this application and fit quite well deep in the recess of the exhaust port. I think they're still in there with the exhaust pipes snuggled tight against them now! :banghead:

So I guess I no longer have to question the compression in this motor!!! And I have to be happy I didn't keep trying to get it to turn over! Dude....

Back