electric starter

john69

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, has the 650 always had an electric starter? I am interested in acquiring a Yamaha 650 but I need to have a bike with an electric starter. When shopping for one is there any particular year considered to be more valuable or more reliable?

Just curious, has the 650 always had an electric starter? I am interested in acquiring a Yamaha 650 but I need to have a bike with an electric starter. When shopping for one is there any particular year considered to be more valuable or more reliable?

The first XS1 model doesn't have an electric start. (http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-electric-start-system.948/) Opinions will range on which year to buy and model, but it will come down to preference. If you don't want to adjust points ignition the you will want to get an 1980 or up. Some models have the side hinge seat as does mine, but I am not a huge fan nor is it that big of a deal. That is unless you want to buy an aftermarket seat. I had to modify mine myself. If I was you I would look up the different model years and see how it meshes with your preferences and mechanical skills.

I would advise you stick with a '74 or newer model, or even '77 and newer if you want most of the major refinements and upgrades Yamaha implemented over the years. The '70-'73 models have what is known as the "256" motor. In '74, lots of internal engine changes and upgrades occurred. This version is what's known as the "447" motor. Parts are more plentiful and cheaper to buy for this later engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20190210_121247.jpg
    IMG_20190210_121247.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 72
Back