Electrical issue(s): Sat on bike without the seat, hit electric start and poof! problems

When voltage appears on grounds, they're not really grounded. They're floating. Check the integrity of the ground cable returning to the battery, especially its terminals...

:agree:

Look for corrosion or a loose crimp connector on the ends of the main ground wire from the battery to the bike's frame (this is normally a short but fairly thick wire about 6-8" long). Remove the hex bolt that secures it to the frame and ensure that the metal on the connector AND on the frame itself is clean & shiny with no corrosion or paint. .

That main frame ground wire is really THE key connection on the bike because it ensures that all of the other grounds can provide an effective, low resistance return circuit. If that main frame ground connection is bad - nothing else on the bike will work properly.

In my experience, a good percentage of the problems with vehicle (car or motorbike) electrical systems can be traced back to a poor main ground connection.

Pete

Thanks guys, I will pull the ground wire as soon as I can break from work today and inspect it. I will clean the terminals and the ground connection on frame too.

Retired Gentleman, I did have taillight coming on before and when I had my original problem. Once I switched relays after I THOUGHT I had original problem fixed but then created this new issue, the taillight wont come on anymore. Per Pete and 2M, I will work on the battery ground cable to clean up the connection. Hoping that will fix the issue and get my taillight and other systems to come back on.

Cha Ching! I took the ground cable sheath off to inspect entire length, as well as the terminals, for any corrosion or damage. Cable was clean and shiny, and the terminals were secure w no corrosion. Cleaned it up, put sheath back on and double wrapped it with electrical tape. I scraped off a better spot on frame, used some fatter washers and hooked ground cable back up <--this has to be issue; I was not using a good enough spot on frame to ground.

I now have all grounds appearing to work properly, tail light coming on with key at on position and starter button is cranking the starter. Woohoo progress!

My neutral light isnt coming on, so gonna search the forum to get that working. The wire that attaches for it on left side of engine is nice and tight.. I did have the neutral light coming on recently so doubt the fix is anything too mysterious.

Checks and clues so far on neutral light not coming on:
1) Removed wire from switch and connected wire to ground with a jumper wire per forum, and light came on so bulb is good.
2) Tail light and all signals work. Starter is turning over w button, but engine not firing.

Fixed! I cleaned wire and neutral switch and re-tightened. Neutral light is now on and all electrical seems to be working. I was able to start bike and it fired up. I let it idle for a bit but want to re-check valve adjustments and tidy up a few things before I go for a test drive.

Thanks everyone for guiding me thru these electrical issues! I learned alot about the system and bike. Now I will start a new thread with I hope a much simpler problem/question :)

Last edited:
Back