Electrical issues on ‘79 special

Your fuse box looks to be a mess with some of the wires leading into it clipped. Proper fusing is supposed to prevent meltdowns and fires like you have.

Need to fix the battery box properly............... the right front bracket has the screw in the wrong hole, (should be the back one), and as it shows it is rubbing against the battery. .........The other screws, (factory had bolts allowing for more torque), held the air-box, to keep everything square and fixed. If the brackets are not fixed some how, the Battery box can shift forward.
D36108C3-EB6E-40BB-8727-0291B8065142.jpg
D36108C3-EB6E-40BB-8727-0291B8065142.jpg

How they should look.........Just add paint
Copyright P1110657.jpg
Copyright P1110657.jpg

Man this bike is a headache and a half but a blast when it does run lol turns out the “fire wire” was the positive lead for the electric starter. Got that removed and and rewired with its own separate fuse just in case it decides it wants to go again. Got a new rectifier/regulator wired up and all that’s left is the points or stator. I’m pretty close to accepting I’m not gonna ride it this summer and tear it down to the frame so I can wire it in a way I know where everything goes and what they do.

Back