Electronic Ignition for xs650

I was not putting you down but I just noticed you said yours was on the bench and I remembered I have one of those. I have followed your Vape install and would love to have one but I'm not sure I can justify the $600 or whatever cost right now.

tim

This ones been haunting me. If I remember correctly the spark happens when the magnetic field collapses. If this is correct, tying the point side wires together will keep a ground available from one side or the other leaving us with no spark. That being said, my memory ain't what it once was and if anyone knows better please explain it to me. The input will be greatly appreciated as I am looking at this system for the XS2.
john

This ones been haunting me. If I remember correctly the spark happens when the magnetic field collapses. If this is correct, tying the point side wires together will keep a ground available from one side or the other leaving us with no spark. That being said, my memory ain't what it once was and if anyone knows better please explain it to me. The input will be greatly appreciated as I am looking at this system for the XS2.
john
Tie the points in series? Both points closed, coil is charged. When either points open, ground is lost, coil fires.

Wow $700 ignition. At that cost use a microsquirt and go sequential EFI. I have a few fancy machined parts in my set up that could be changed to be more cost effective. Can't change maps while riding, but with a couple setting changes on a laptop it'll do any degree of rephase, and uses extremely common chevy LS coils.

Curious if anyone has any updates on these now that weather is getting nice. Billy, did you end up getting any more units?

i did not get more, I belive I can at anytime thou, I wrote a intalation instruction in english for the guy in china, and emailed it to him but he didnt seem to respond too my email, but im sure he will sell some more, I have all my moneys tied up in the "xs750 build along" tread I started here, gonna go all the way with all the bells and whissles on this build,

I can say I am very very happy with the ignition I instaled on one of my bikes, its never started so well cold or hot, and runns smoooooth, I belive Im the only one that has insalled theres so far, and eveyone has kinda got busy with the different projects, did you get one willis?

if two members here can comit to purchase I can order three more and keep one for my new build,

hey Mailman, I was hoping you would join in my engine build along thread, its in the gargae, just split the case.

Say billy, what is the advance unit you, and others, are using? Stock ATU with shaft?

yes the factory advance unit. and actually I have no proof, but I belive the factory advance unit is a more agreassive advance curve then say a aftermarket ignition system, most aftermarket advance manufacturers say they have a advance curve for todays gasoiline, and that makes me think its not agresive to avoid ping or detonation, I have access to ethanol free 92 octane right down the road from me, snd I never get detonation

Last edited:
I did not get one. I would be interested if you were to order any more though.

ok Willis, Im contacting the maker and seeing if its a go, I will let you know within a week, I believe I can front the money for three more, last time they where gone before I could even get them packaged for shipping, so Im not concerned, Im sure they will find a forever home:rolleyes:

Hey guys, just chewed through this whole thread and have something to add. My shop has installed a few of these units from Czech Republic, for what they are, they are quite powerful. Not saying you need all the functions but you could adapt the box to use the Tytronics sensor, ditch the advancer (would have to lock the sensor in place somehow) and have a fully programable ignition curve, rev limiter etc. The box is a bit clunky but it comes with a USB adapter.
https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2/dccdip2.htm
Instructions are on the page, and have wiring diagrams, setup, etc. Ordering in the past, we would contact them and tell them the application and they will install a curve that will work and get the bike running, and you can tweak it as needed. Box is about $150 plus shipping.
-Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I had not seen these before. I suspect their TCI box would work with the 80-83 TCI pickup.

Hey guys, just chewed through this whole thread and have something to add. My shop has installed a few of these units from Czech Republic, for what they are, they are quite powerful. Not saying you need all the functions but you could adapt the box to use the Tytronics sensor, ditch the advancer (would have to lock the sensor in place somehow) and have a fully programable ignition curve, rev limiter etc. The box is a bit clunky but it comes with a USB adapter.
https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2/dccdip2.htm
Instructions are on the page, and have wiring diagrams, setup, etc. Ordering in the past, we would contact them and tell them the application and they will install a curve that will work and get the bike running, and you can tweak it as needed. Box is about $150 plus shipping.
-Cliff

That's an incredibly useful heads-up, thanks. Their Sparker boxes look good.
I'll likely get a basic pre-programmed one for the GS, as it's still got an ancient mechanical advance, and possibly for the XJ9, as TCI boxes for that are increasingly hard to come by (and expensive).

WOW, thats awsome, basically that exsaclyly what Im hoping to get some of us here to D.I.Y.. i would be intersted in purchasing one to try,
and if any of you are afrfaid of not being able to program it yourself, its super simple with a laptop,ive worked with such mappable systems before on race cars, and its super easy,

as for the ones Im still hoping some of us here can get together and make ourselfs, I was thinking more of one with like 4 tinny DIP switches, so you could choose a avance curve with the flip of a little switch,

like this one has dip switches to change options, all contained in this box that goes under the timing cover
s-l640.jpg

hey cliffo, Im ordering one of these boxes youve shown here, I love being a guiine pig. It great that they offer free downloads and "driver for windows"
do you have any photos of screenshots of the "tuner" you get to use on the laptop,??

I was somewhat interested in turbo or superchanging this build Im doing now, and Im curious if they have the programiong ability to use a "MAPP" sensor and then be able to retart timing per pound of boost, Like at 1 pound boost retard timing 2 degrees, and at two punds boost retart timing 5 degrees, and so on, so far the reson turbo has been off the teble of ideas for this build was I didnt see any way of controling the timing in the way I just described, Im a fbricator and just the idea of building a setup sounds fun, ...can you show us what the on screen tuner looks like?? Im going to go download it now and see if I can load it on the laptop. I use Microtech for a car I have and you cant "open" the program until its hooked up to the ECU, so you cant see anything without the ECU, gonna find out if its the same for this CHEZ unit ,I will update soon

Back