Electronic Ignition for xs650

well I was able to download the "DRIVER" but the tuner program for the DCCDIP2 will not download, well it will start to then my lapstop says download stoped because it would harm my computer, hmmm?

The DC-CDI-P2 is made to receive two ignition trigger inputs with each driving a separate ignition coil. It will not accept the signals from points. They sell inductive rotors and one has an 8mm ID so could probably be easily fitted in the same style of a Boyer-Bransden pick-up?? Crank vs Cam mounted Timing?? In their FAQs there are warnings about ensuring the ignitions coils are correctly wired: TCI + Points Based coils are wired differently for CDI.

Edit: They also have a range of TCI ignitions as well.

Last edited:
stil cant download the programer from the site, if I cant have the programer then the box is useless, trying to contact them, maybe my computer just "thinks it dangurous" and I have to force my computer to download the programer,

so paul, Ive found you to be very smart about these things in the past, can you determin if the TyTronics can or cannot suply this box with the signal it requires? you may have allready answered that in y9ur last post and I just didnt get it:banghead:

DCCDIP2 Software.

1. If you download the software it will be saved in the Download Folder as 200127a_Dccdip2_v105. Copy the download to where ever you want it to reside. Then Right click the mouse on the program and select Create Shortcut. Drag/Copy the Shortcut onto the Desktop. When you double click on the shortcut the program will load but you may be asked a question to check if you want it to run - Choose Run and the program will load.

Note: The Download is an EXE file. Windows is programmed to intercept these because of the risk of virus transmission via EXEs. You just have to trust IGNITECH and choose Run.

2. Another way to run the Download is go to the Download Folder and right click the mouse on the file 200127a_Dccdip2_v105. Choose the option Run as Administrator. Again Windows will check that you want to proceed and again just choose the yes options.

3. Still another way to run the Download is go to the Download Folder and left double click the mouse on the file 200127a_Dccdip2_v105. Again you will be asked questions or your security settings may not allow you to proceed.

Note: I prefer option 1 above because it allows me to organise where you keep your files.

The following link is for the PDF covering the DCCDIP2:

https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2/manual_sparker_dccdip2_v105_en.pdf

See the following excerps:

"The inputs for position sensors are two and each of them can be custom-made in the following versions: 1) For inductive sensor (marked IND or unmarked) 2) For inductive sensor with a pulsed rotor with more than 12 protrusions (marked 24-2) 3) For inductive sensor with a pulsed rotor with more than 36 protrusions (marked 48-2 or 60-2) 4) For HALL sensor or optical sensor (marked HALL) 5) For inductive sensors and pulse rotor with one pulse lobe (marked ONE LOBE)."

"Crankshaft position sensor CKPS. The ignition unit can be used for almost all known and still unknown motor position pickup systems. Most of the systems can be chosen directly by selecting relevant motorcycle type from the list included in software. Different pickup system can be set following a special procedure in software. An input is ready for standard pickups (inductive, reluctant type) used on motorbikes. On request, we can also deliver inputs for HALL sensors."

Ignition Points are not listed so you may have to develop your own pickups. Ignitech do offer a Hall sensor on request and do list many other motorcycles where there systems work, but I do not see the XS650, only the XS400. They have a sensor unit for the XS400 but I am not sure if that will work on the XS650???

Regarding the later TCI XS650s. This might work but they only have 1 suitable pickup so could only use 1 input channel of the DCCDIP2 and would require the ignition to be capable of driving a Dual Spark coil. This means you lose the ability to tune each cylinder separately, if that is a requirement.

I have seen simple circuits for converting points signals to their inductive equivalents. I will try to find these and perhaps Ignitech can comment on their usefulness???

There are many questions to be asked but the best approach may be to make Ignitech aware of a huge potential XS650 market where points replacement may/will be necessary. They may already have the solutions at hand.

Looking through the sales catalogue it looks like the TCI based XS650s could be fitted with a programmable capacitive ignition for a single cylinder engine such as the DCCDIP coupled with the dual spark coil they sell shown below and using the sensor already on the XS's alternator. There is a similar option for dual spark using their TCI ignitions and their recommended dual spark coil.

Ignition coil IC-CDI-D.
Ignition coils with two outlets for capacitive ignitions (for CDI, DC-CDI, DC-CDI-P, DC-CDI-P2, DCCDIP2 race). Resistance of primary winding 0,3 Ohm, inductance 0.67 mH. Spacing of mount holes is 90 mm for M6. Length of cables is 38 cm. Cables are difficult to replace.
ic-cdi-d.jpg

Note: The capacitive ignitions use low Ohm coils (e.g. 0.3 Ohm) and the TCIs use high resistance coils (e.g. 3.5 Ohm - sounds like the original coil on the TCI XS650s).

For the points based XS650s the issue still remains regarding the correct ignition triggering device. Perhaps there is some scope with a modified XS400 pickup, Ignitech need to be consulted on this??

Last edited:
i have 1 of these (ignitec) on my tdm850 it was a set and forget ign that was already set up for my bike with the right plug, was just a matter of unplug the old and plug in the new , its great , the blokes racing the tdm here in oz swear by them and say the love the way they can change the tuning .. a few yrs back i got in touch with them about the xs650 and they said no prob for the unphased bike except at that time they couldnt sell me 1 for the rephased bike

:popcorn: watching with excitment

so sorry paul to maybe sound stupid here, but out of all the listed options there, with the crank driven 12 or 36 tooth triger wheel , and the other imputs for say a hall sensor, Im taking it the tyronics is not an exceptable input to any inputs the box has ?? and the coil you show is very similar to the coil that came with my boyer mini system im planing on using on the build Im doing now, But again, man if I could control timing to the point I could retard timing at boost I would definatly be doing a roots blower of turbo on this build, and I dont just mean timing retarded under boost, I want to have control over each pound of boost, like 1# = 2 deg retard....2# =5degree retard...3# = 8 degree of retard and so on and so on... its funny I have a rx7 series 5 turbo engine in a vw bug and I ran carburators on it for 15 years, and I said Ill never be that guy tuning his ride with a laptop, then I got a microtec lt10 stand alone ECU, and I could map EVERYTHING.. now I cant imagine running a boosted sytem without it... so Now I am that guy. and happy too:geek:

Their Sparker TCI looks to be the best choice for the 650

Can use the stock post 79 TCI coils or the Honda coils

Pickup possibility's

Stock 650
80-83 TCI rotor with stock pickup. I'm hoping this will work. The waveforms from the pickups on their web site look like what I was getting from the stock TCI pickup.

pre 80 add magnet on rotor where the TCI mounts (Jim maybe) Banshee pickup

PMA replace rotor with one that has pickup bump (like a Banshee rotor) and Banshee pickup

Looking at Ignitech's web site it sounds like they will customize the advance curve and the pickup you plan to use. They do offer volume discounts

The local Ignitech dealer has produced a PDF manual, I have bought it has some good info in it.

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1636_1640

He prefers Hall Effect triggers for cam driven pickups as the signal is more reliable.

I started down this line looking for a 277 race ignition but have yet to finish and test my own home brew crank triggered one that uses relatively cheap components. If my effort is a flop an Ignitech is next in line, it will work but looking for a cheaper option.

Signal, thanks for that. I notice the catalogue includes Hall Effect ICs to allow people to build their own cam driven pickups similar in style to the Boyer inductive version. If you happen to see a Maroon coloured RD250B plate 19CWP in passing, it used to be mine way back in the late 70s to early 80s. My old XS6501B may also be floating about still but I have forgotten the Plate Number.

Last edited:
Hey sorry you guys had some trouble setting up the program. I don't know about changing maps for boost applications. We have used another company from Belgium, who make this nice little unit:
https://www.hpi.be/tunebox.php
Seems to have a couple more features too. We have not fiddled much with the inner workings of these boxes. One went on a Honda CM400 that has an obsolete cdi box. Ignitech unit fired right up and ran great. The HPI box we have used on CB350 race bikes, but they had simpler cdi's, one for each cylinder. I have learned a lot reading you guy's investigations into these units!

I just ordered an Ignitech unit for my Virago. I hope it lives up to what everyone is saying about them. I ordered the programmable TCIP4 and may have to ask for help as per Cliffo. I know the original Virago TCI had 2 maps and changed them based on carburetor. vacuum.

i just ordered another three from the manufacturer, tytronics, two are allready sold, 1 left,
76.00 and 7,65 shipping and now 3.33 addition shipping from china,
86.98 tottal to your door.
Im only passing on the cost to me, its not a sales thing for me, so the payments need to be to family or friend, so I dont pay the paypall fees. I dont make ant money on these ,just want to get them into peoples hands that want one

Ignitech: I ordered by ignition and received an invoice for payment on Monday. I paid it that afternoon and the unit arrived Wednesday afternoon. It looks to be well built using quality materials. It has been pre-programmed for my Virago. I plugged it into my harness and started the bike which took several attempts. What happens is the engine wants to kick back - more than with the stock ignition, much more so quite hard on the starter.

What do I do? The programming shows 10 degrees at startup i.e. 0 rpm, should I decrease this value? What would be a good value to avoid kick back, perhaps 6 degrees????

Thank you for any advice.

I agree with your thinking, kicking back - too far advanced.
Perhaps someone on a Virago forum or Ignitech will know what value to use.
If you try 6 degrees and it is better you know you are on the right track.

Back