Electronic Ignition for xs650

Looks a neat setup, still uses mechanical advance. If it’s reasonable price, but for the extra bob or two, Boyer for me. Looking forward to the remainder of this story.

I just purchased a boyer for my new engine build, I bought the one that removes the mechanical advance, I have boyer on two triumphs I have and like the a lot, but for an older xs I have still running points Im trying one of these, and Ive done a bunch more resercha and it seems tytronic is a much larger outfit that makes electroninc gas ignitors (whatever that is lol) anyways For a points replacement I think this isn't a bad deal, we will see,

they take their motorcycles seriously in asia. i bet the tytronics thing works great. if he's really been at it for 25 yrs

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

gary, are you putting it on a bike with a pamco charging system? are you using stock points style coils??
The project on the lift has a new Pamco that's never been hooked up, 79 with mech advance., no coils or charging system on it yet.

Here’s a link to a short vid of an Accuspark trigger on my RE 500 twin, 2small magnets in the red spinning ring, dual output Honda coil, mechanical Advance.
Quite cheap. £43. Seems to work OK. Could be easily adapted to an XS.
Will it last? Would I set off to the South of France? Probably,but I’d take the points as backup. That’s not really the plan with modern components, supposed to be reliable and worry free.

Attachments

• 45A20181-7853-4664-8CDE-1A58486D0313.png
    45A20181-7853-4664-8CDE-1A58486D0313.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 192
I took a look at the Tytronic website, many different offerings for some popular old bikes. I'm impressed with their ballist resisters for some of the other bikes, not a big lump of ceramic, might be more durable on a bike vs the auto types. Now I can't get back to the site and Gary's links aren't working. Higher prices on ebay than what Gary paid directly to Tytronic. Chop off $20 and it just might be the best product/deal available.

billy icon, A bit of clarification, the Pamco is an ignition system, not a charging system.
Is this Trytonic system just the sensor plate as shown or is there a box to go with it.
If just the sensor plate, perhaps there is are transistors tucked away in the windings. The magnets cause enough current in the windings to trip the transistor. If so then you would use two stock coils.
The plate has three wires. One to each coil and a ground.
The Martek, I think that's what brand the one I put on my first 75 in about 78 was. It had a sensor plate and box but used the stock coils. Used the stock advance unit.
Leo

Last edited:
billy icon, A bit of clarification, the Pamco is an ignition system, not a charging system.
Is this Trytonic system just the sensor plate as shown or is there a box to go with it.
If just the sensor plate, perhaps there is are transistors tucked away in the windings. The magnets cause enough current in the windings to trip the transistor. If so then you would use two stock coils.
The plate has three wires. One to each coil and a ground.
The Martek, I think that's what brand the one I put on my first 75 in about 78 was. It had a sensor plate and box but used the stock coils. Used the stock advance unit.
Leo

Get in line, wait and see

mrtwowheel, or anyone interested in one of these The company tytronic has shipped me three of these and I can pass them along to anyone interested at 25 dollors discount from the Tytronics price, Im no salesman, and when I originaly used the google translator to send out an email to Tytronics I was just looking for more imformation about the product, when I expressed that with more imformation "WE" (as in the xs650 community) might be more interested in this item with more knowledge of how its works and such, anyways I recived an offer to get three units for a discount, so I am willing to pass it on, Any one interested message me.

Gary, billy icon, this is what I need to know. Does it use a dual output or two single output coils. I'm guessing with the three wires and the wiring diagram on that Honda video that it is for two single output coils. Maybe it has directions for wiring to a dual output coil also?

So, coil information and installation instructions needed

Last edited:
I was distracted :heart: read nails and working on her bike.

am I mistaken or does the honda in that video have a dual output DYNA coil?? anyone?

I was distracted :heart: read nails and working on her bike.

am I mistaken or does the honda in that video have a dual output DYNA coil?? anyone?

No, those are two separate Dyna coils. That is a Charlie's Place ignition, but the wiring is the same, just different colored wires on the XS. I haven't found any info on wiring a dual output coil to the Tytronic.

Last edited:
Having it work with a dual output coil would be nice. Aftermarket dual and single output coils cost about the same. Having to buy two singles would up your cost quite a bit.

check this guy out, its called "charlies place" and he sells ignitions for Hondas, says "made in the usa" but its quite obviously tyronics parts, or he has sourced them directly from the factory that makes the send=sors on the timing plate, he is also charching a hefty price for them 220 to 26o dollars, I bet he gets those sensors for pennies from honk kong or wherever, , Im not knocking him, Im no auntrepenur ...cant even spell it lol, but there interesting to see the same triggers used on something "made in the USA, Ive actually heard rumors before that there is a city/town in china with the name usa ..and they make things that say made in usa… like oossa!.. lol rumor who knows?

https://www.charlies-place.com/product-category/electronicignitions/

Back