Elimination of Light Checker

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
I've been wondering what this electrical part is and via a Forum Search and checking the XS650C wiring diagram in my Clymer Manual, I'm pretty sure its my Light Checker. It's clipped to a metal tab just to the left and above the Safety Relay.

Green-White, Yellow and Black wires are connected and they run into the main wiring harness under the seat.

The green-white wire runs to headlight failure indicator. Yellow wire runs to Tail/Brake light.

I've seen a recent thread that talks about doing away with Light Checker, but to connect the blue-yellow wire to the blue wire.

My XS650C does not have blue-yellow or blue wires connected to my Light Checker like: late E's, SE's, 2F's, SF's & G's.

Any downsides to leaving the Light Checker alone?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Light_Checker_2.jpg
    Light_Checker_2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Light_Checker_1.jpg
    Light_Checker_1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I searched for 'light checker' and second post I read had the solution.

I could answer your question, but you need to try the search.

Feed a man a fish, you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time.

Thanks, Brian902.

I've read a number of threads (perhaps the wrong ones) before and after starting this thread that provide solutions that pertain to Light Checker wiring for later 650's (where LCU wiring runs to Ignition Switch) than mine. I think my wiring diagram interpretation skills and basic electrical skills are the issue in this case moreso than my forum searching expertise.

On the Standard models up to 1978, the Light Checker only had 3 wires, and all it did was to check for voltage going to the brake light.

On my 1978 Special the Light Checker has 7 wires, and it also checked on the brake light, but in addition it checked if the current to the tail light was low (bulb blown).

Connecting blue/yellow to blue was only needed on the 78 Special or later years.

On a 76, if you like it keep it, if not just unplug it.

Replies that tell you to learn to use the search function are bullsh!t IMHO. What do you want to accomplish? Does your headlight come on when you turn the key on, or not till you start to crank the motor.

On the Standard models up to 1978, the Light Checker only had 3 wires, and all it did was to check for voltage going to the brake light.

On my 1978 Special the Light Checker has 7 wires, and it also checked on the brake light, but in addition it checked if the current to the tail light was low (bulb blown).

Connecting blue/yellow to blue was only needed on the 78 Special or later years.

On a 76, if you like it keep it, if not just unplug it.

Thanks your feedback, retiredgentleman!

The forum search results that I came across only addressed the 7-wire Light Checkers that pertained to later years than mine, so I appreciate you addressing the 3-wire Light Checker folk.

Replies that tell you to learn to use the search function are bullsh!t IMHO. What do you want to accomplish? Does your headlight come on when you turn the key on, or not till you start to crank the motor.

I wanted to accomplish the following: ID the part, find out what purpose it serves and determine whether I can part with it and if so, what do I have to rewire (if anything) if I do disconnect/remove it. If memory serves (my bike is and has been in pieces for months), my headlight does not come on until I manually turn on the Headlight switch.

Just for the record.

If you had searched 'light checker' you get many results, yours is the first and the third one post # 11 has the answer.

Took me all of 5 minutes.

And it's by our good friend the 'retiredgentleman'.

I'm out of here.

Last edited:
Every possible question about the xs650 has been answered multiple times. It's time to turn off posting.

Just for the record.

If you had searched 'light checker' you get many results, yours is the first and the third one post # 11 has the answer.

Took me all of 5 minutes.

And it's by our good friend the 'retiredgentleman'.

I'm out of here.

Even though you edited, your welcome.

Every possible question about the xs650 has been answered multiple times. It's time to turn off posting.

xjwmx.................I have to agree:D

However, its a bit like saying "Just google for what information you want, its all there just start reading" We live in an age of information overload, and some lads just can't find their way through the maze.

I know this topic has been beat to death. But when looking at my wiring diagram in my haynes, it says that the headlight connects to yellow green and black. Why does the blue/yellow or blue wire have any effect on the headlight?
This is a 78 sf.

Sorry, a 79 sf. Either way, both wiring diagrams say yellow green black for the headlight

I know this topic has been beat to death. But when looking at my wiring diagram in my haynes, it says that the headlight connects to yellow green and black. Why does the blue/yellow or blue wire have any effect on the headlight?
This is a 78 sf.

The blue/yellow wire brings power from the Reserve Lighting Unit to the Dimmer switch. Power leaves the Dimmer switch on the yellow or green going to the headlight.

Dark blue wire is for the meter lights,and this blue wire is connected to the blue/black wire, which is the source of power for the RLU.

The blue/black wire gets its power from the Safety Relay.

Back