EMGO Replacement 7" headlight 66-65024 h4

lonzo22

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey fellers once again I need some help. Down in the wild south, we ride all year long My bike is 1980 XS
IMG_0534.jpg

I bought a larger bike '88 wing awesome bike, so this one became my backup but I digress, The headlight was not coming on and touch it to battery it did shine. I had bought a new clutch side control from Mikes XS and added a sealed beam H4. last year. Not sure if it is fault in switch. So ordered the new replacement referenced in title.
it is an H4 60/55w 12w P43t Mikes Part #09-0074
IMG_0915.jpg

reverse side
IMG_0918.jpg

To err on side of caution a new switch and wiring harness.
The new one came with out wiring diagram and with a twist it has an extra light, a small amber looking light. with 2 leads from left green - l l - brown/ white stripe.

IMG_0917.jpg

the light does not use the old set up
Old

Greem - l
Black - l l -Yellow

IMG_0919.jpg

New

White - l
Green - l l - Blue

IMG_0916.jpg

or can I just use the old style plug and play or wire in paralell with high or low beam.

Do I need to use the amber light is it a daytime running light? Contacted Mikes 0 help

I have no idea what the heck it is and for the most part I know the wires could care less
what color it is. any help would be appreciated especially if you have dealt with this type of set up.:banghead:

Thanx acenhan

Yes the little extra bulb can be used as a daytime running light. Hook on brown wire to ground, hook the blue wire to the blue wire after the key switch. This lights the extra light when the switch comes on, like the tail light.
Your new light came with an H4 bulb. It has three prongs coming out. Just plug the three slot socket that plugged onto the stock bulb on the three prongs of the new bulb.
Being that your 80 is set up to turn on the headlight when the engine starts the extra light is pretty much moot. It won't be bright enough to see over the headlight.
On your bike the alternator has a yellow wire that runs to the safety/ headlight relay. As the engine starts this yellow wire sends some of the alternator out put to the relay, the voltage on this yellow wire when it reaches about 4.5 volts the relay trips and cuts power to the starter relay, stopping the starter from working. It also turns on the power to the headlight dimmer switch, lighting the headlight.
If your old bulb tests good then your charging system may not be charging. No charge = no power to the safety/headlight on relay, this means the headlight won't light.
Check your battery voltage at idle, 2000 to 2500 rpms and at 5000 rpms. At idle anywhere between about 12.5 to 13.5 volts is ok, at 2000-2500 rpms the voltage should rise to 14-14.5 volts. At 5000 rpms the voltage should be at the same voltage as at 2000-2500 rpms. It should never go higher at any rpms.
Leo

Thanx Leo
I appreciate your information. We will finish the hook up and I will see if it is putting out enough voltage once we get it together.
Thanx your are indeed a guru with a timely blessing.
Kudos:bike:

Hi lonzo,
the low powered front light is for places that require a vehicle parked on the street at night to have it's sidelights on.
You will notice that the XS650 keyswitch has a PARK position that'll leave the tail light on.
Note that the one time Mr Stupid locked his steering on leaving his bike outside he switched the key one click too far, leaving the tail light on and running the battery flat.
Hook the little lamp up to the tail light wire to make it work.
Like XSLeo posted, it won't even show when the headlight is on.

I installed a halogen upgrade kit about a week ago. I put less than 200km since and the lens has already shattered from the vibes. Major piss-off, since it was so much brighter than the original sealed beam. You may want to figure out how to dampen the vibes somehow, maybe a rubber ring between the headlight and the steel retainer ring?

I have a late model Virago headlight I am doing nothing with, maybe I'll install that on the lower triple, or go for one of those deep headlights with the speedo in the top. It would keep the wiring mess out of view. I dunno at this point. I did notice the halogen unit was almost too deep for the headlight shell, and the wires were up against the rear of the shell pretty snugly. Maybe that helped the vibes kill it. Luckily it was a PO purchase in his mad XS650Direct buying frenzy when he had the bike, so it didn't cost me anything. I did give the bike a bit of an Italian tune up the other night, doing over 70mph for about half an hour, so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

Back