Empty Nesters @ 70-mumble

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My brother-in-law, who is developmentally disabled, has lived with us for most of the last 40 years. He's 90% independent, held a job for many years until the plant closed down, drives, has bought and paid for several vehicles, has a girlfriend, etc. etc. He just needs a little help with anything new until he gets used to it and a little supervision of his finances.

Last Spring, he decided to apply for low income housing as he felt he was ready for some more independence. We encouraged him as we're not getting any younger and if he was established in an apartment with some support we'd feel better about his future.

He was #14 on the list when he applied, and we figured it'd be a year, minimum, before his name came up. They called a couple of weeks ago and said he could move in as of November 1st! We went over yesterday and signed all the paperwork and he and I moved most of his stuff in today. My wife and I, and her sister will keep an eye on him, especially until he gets settled in and establishes a routine, but for the first time in his life (he'll be 66 on the 15th) he's on his own.

Meanwhile, we have an empty bedroom (wife is thinking exercise room for her) and I have an empty bay in the garage. Two, actually, since I moved all my toys into the new shop.

What's the first thing the wife says? "Don't plan on filling that garage back up!" Methinks she knows me too well...

bikes.jpg

bay.jpg

If I understand this correctly, she doesn't have her own motorcycle yet? Is that true?

When we first got married, she'd hop on the back of my XS and go anywhere with me. When we lived in Japan, likewise. Riding on the wrong side of narrow mountain roads, next to an open benjo ditch didn't bother her at all.

However, it's been years since she's ridden with me. In fact, she doesn't even drive the car/truck any more tho she still has her license. Truth be told, she'd really rather I didn't ride any more but knows that's a non-starter. That time will come soon enough.

Back