Engine cleaning

Sparkyduc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’ve got my XS2 engine out of the frame and would like to really clean it up. I have power washed it but I would like to “detail” it to make it look really nice. What do you all do to yours?

Brushes... various sizes.. rifle bore brushes.... a large tub of elbow grease.... cleaning chemicals of choice.... auto parts stores have several.... if you use a power washer.... insure intake-exhaust are sealed....not just rags stuffed.. I make plates and bolt them in place.... change the oil afterwards.... another tub of elbow grease.... set aside plenty of time.. don't expect to get it done in one session. Valve covers... engine side covers... remove the plastic coat'n…. then if buffs out. If I recall Yamaha painted the upper portion of the engine but not the lower.

I didn’t actually power wash it, I put some S100 on it, let it soak, then sprayed it off from a distance. There was no pressure involved. I’ve drained the oil and refilled. I had all openings capped off.
I’m just wanting to detail it out without having to rinse it off again.

Yes, I second the Vapor blasting, Here's box of parts I did for an RD build, This is before any polishing.
You gotta disassemble everything, then clean VERY thoroughly when you get the parts back.

vapor blasted parts.jpg

I have a small vapor honeing machine that I do my small parts with. I just don"t want to disassemble the motor, I guess it"s just going to take some scrubbing

Back