Engine Gasket Leak....help needed!

Paul75

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys I need a little help please!!! Took the XS for it's first short ride yesterday, I noticed a small dribble of oil from the gasket in the photo, just below the plug - which gasket is this? Once I know this I can look to hopefully re-torque, if there is any advice on this would be superb.

Thanks all,

Paul
20180407_175740.jpg

That's your main head gasket. Look carefully, the oil could be coming from above that. Take the cover off the points housing above the plug and have a look in there. See any oil sitting in the bottom of the housing?

Ok, the points housing is 100% clean of oil. Oil was definitely coming from that gasket. I have been busy searching the site for info, I found this written by yourself:

"I pull the 8 large acorns, one at a time, clean if need be, anti-seize, then torque up to 25. When all 8 have had that done, I go back around and bring them up to 30. Then I pull the ones under the plugs, one at a time and follow the same routine - clean and anti-seize. These get torqued to a lower value though because they're smaller, 16 I think. Those are the only bolts and nuts that effect the head and base gasket. The other small ones on top of the head just hold the top cover on. There is that little M6 bolt back down between the carbs that is part of the head gasket pattern but it doesn't do a whole lot and you probably can't get at it anyway. Most head gasket leaks don't occur in the back by that little bolt anyway. They usually occur across the front and along the sides"

I'm going to follow this, is this still the method you use? I read it's also good practice to replace the 4 x outer rubber coated acorn washers with bronze or brass (thick) ones, I will need to find these before I start.

One last thing, your torque ratings are in ft/lb - I have converted these to NM for Metric reference:
25 ft/lb = 34 Nm
30 ft/lb = 41 Nm

16f ft/lb = 22 Nm

If anyone has the size of the cylinder head nut washer I would be grateful - imperial fine/I can convert - Yambits in the UK only stock the original rubber coated type which I do not want!

Last edited:
A slightly dissenting opinion. Absolutely do the retorque
While the rubber washers are regularly excoriated here, I leave 'em be, do the retorque and enjoy a leak free engine, time after time, after....
a reinforcement; you need to ever so carefully snug up that lone 6mm bolt hidden above the cam chain adjuster. The poor little thing stands guard over a long thin section of the head gasket.

I'm happy to not worry about the new washers if that's cool because they are a pain in the butt to get hold of.....

(thank you Meddy though).....

When torquing the 10mm head studs you are better off tightening in stages. I did mine in 3 stages, from memory 10 - 15ftlb, 20ftlb and the final setting. Also, when applying anti-seize to the studs this potentially increases the torque setting by 10 - 25% compared to when the torque is set with the threads dry: The percent data depends on which company's literature you read. There are mentions of increasing the torque settings to 30ftlb or higher for the 10mm studs, however, I stick to the specification value knowing that with anti-seize applied I will be overshot a bit anyway.

I am still working on making a spanner to get to that 6mm bolt above the cam chain tensioner, but other things keep getting in the way. Maybe this evening?

When re-torquing I guess there is no 'pattern' in which to follow (probably a silly question)....

Innermost first then work out usually done as a spiral so the two under the sparkplugs and that little guy way out back last, and yes best in stages. rechecked in a few 100 miles

XSLeo, could you please give a reference to where you find the mention of applying oil liberally. The Yamaha manual I have does not mention this but I do find third party references implying some torque values should be set wet on the XS e.g. thexscafedotcom.

Much appreciated if you could give the manual reference and year - Thank you.

Gary, you've sure had better luck with those rubber washers than I have--or maybe you like your torque wrench more than I like mine! Paul75, there's an easy source for 10 mm. ID real copper (not brass!) sealing washers: Suzuki part no. 09168-10017.

And the Suzuki washers are cheaper than the MikesXS offering. It didn't always used to be like this, but with Mike's new owners and all their so-called "improvements", it is now. The biggest change they made was raising all their prices, lol.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/suzuki/S-09168-10017.html

I've used the MikesXS brass washers in the past (when they were cheaper) and they work just fine. I have the Suzuki washers on mine because years ago when I replaced them, Mike's wasn't selling their brass version yet. I guess I can understand Gary's reluctance to change them out. He has so many of these pass through his hands, it would put quite a dent in his wallet, lol.

If you have access to a lathe then you can make your own washers. The measurements I used were 22mm OD x 10mm ID and 3mm Thick: 10mm is a very close fit on those rolled threads and 10.5mm may be a better choice. There is a thread on here somewhere talking about the thickness. The fear raised was that if the washer is too thin the stud might pop the top off the acorn nut or not tighten properly. So I took the advice and used some scrap 1/8" brass which is approximately 3.2mm. It was also proposed that you can use 3mm Copper, Aluminum or soft Iron. I put the washers on with a faint smear of sealant underneath and as yet have not seen any oil leaks. Stacking thinner washers together was also mentioned but I cannot remember if a smear of sealant was used between them. When I say a smear I really mean just the faintest of trace, definitely not a bead. You do not want excess to end up in the engine and possibly cause a blockage.

Anyone have the torque for the little fella behind the carbs please?

Back