engine interchange

jefftwin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Will any year of XS 650 engine bolt into any year of chassis? New to this bike and have a chance to purchase a running engine. Thanks for any help.

Not quite 70-71 have a slightly different front engine mount hole location. 70-73 engine mount sets are different than 74 up and need to be matched to the frame year , not the engine year.
so any 72 up engine will bolt into any 72 up frame
use 72-73 engine mounts with those year frames
All 74-84 engines, frames, mounts will directly swap.

Last edited:
Not quite 70-71 have a slightly different front engine mount hole location. 70-73 engine mount sets are different than 74 up and need to be matched to the frame year , not the engine year.
My mistake op....

That's news to me, Gary! I rode a 79 Special with XS1 cases and 447 crank and top end from 1992 to 1998, had no issues mounting the motor. The 79 front motor mount worked just fine.

Got em, seen the difference Griz, there's a thread with pics in here "somewhere". and a brit that welded, redrilled XS2 mounts to fit the XS1 case. The hole was about 1/2" further back. Maybe you have a bigger crowbar than I do. :poke: :smoke: Probably doesn't matter to this poster.
These aren't the best angle but you can see the diff.
70.jpg 71-73.jpg

This pair wasn't marked for year but it's a better angle
oil gallery 022.JPG oil gallery 023.JPG

Yeah guys, I'm aware of the difference in the cases. I still have the XS1 cases lying under the bench (early 256, had rods with needle bearing wrist pins on the original crank). Had that motor in and out of an F Special frame (severely damaged in 1998 crash and sent to crusher) several times. Used the 1-piece front mount from the F frame. The job never presented a struggle, and I didn't modify motor, motor mount, or frame. You have me scratching my old head bald!

Interesting stuff. I must have missed this topic when it first came up a few years back, in fact I know I did. I say that because I have an old junk XS1 motor and I used it as a template when building my "flipper" stand. Had I known there might be a mount difference, I would have investigated further. I could have ended up with a stand that would only fit early XS1 motors, lol. But, I lucked out. Seems the case change took place late in the XS1B production run, from engine #22833 on. Luckily my motor is in the 23000 range, whew .....

RwdyBMz.jpg

So Griz, check the number on your XS1 cases and I bet you'll find they're late production XS1B items.

Sure, it's obvious that the hole is set back more than on later motors. No, 5twins, the motor number is S650-02323; it's an early XS1, came complete with needle bearing wrist pins. The bike had been chopped by a PO, had a holed piston on the right side, and the needle bearing rods were just waiting to cause trouble. I don't remember modifying mounts to hang that motor; as I recall, it went in fine with the late box type motor mount. But it's been awhile, and memory plays tricks.

Back