engine mounts

seniorsalazar

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is my first bike so never had to mess with this, but i believe my engine mounts might be bad cause when i pull on throttle the motor shakes a pretty good amount you can hear the engine vibrating off the frame and it sounds scary when driving lol. anyway how can if this can be fixed. thanks oh by the way its a 81 xs400 special 2.

i beleive they r all there like i said this is my first bike ever som not to sure where all mounts are i know the top mounts are there for sure.

- i wonder if you are mistaking loose cam chain noise, and or tappets?
- mounts are front, rear, top and bottom...4 in all
- have a look here for a basic manual

- if the cam chain needs adjusting it can make a horrendous noise, often the tappets-valve adjusters will need doing too...

- cam chain adjuster is that lump at the rear of the cylinders under the carb mounts

- hmmm just read that you have an XS400, the info is still relevant but the manual wont be

man thanks alot with all this help i really appreciate it, i hate having to pay someone to do work that i can do myself and learn in the process. as far as the engine i have see it move myself, do motor mounts tend to come loose?

- mounts dont normally come loose, but you never know who has been working on them...tell me if those files in the above link still open...theyre manuals for a 360-400

they opened up just fine thanks, also while im on here im having a problem with my tail light was working just fine then now it just stay illumintated the whole time when i press my brakes nothing, any thoughts thaks again for those manuals they r gonna be a life saver

- just found a manual in my library...looks like both the e-start and alternator are chain driven and the cam chain has some kind of internal tensioner that sits on top of the head under the cover :shrug:

- blown filament, broken or bad contact or earth in the brake light cabling ?

-
so does that mean it automatucally adjust alone?
...not sure, a good reason to read your new manual :D

inxs, thanks for posting the link for the XS400 manual. It may help some others on another site.

- no problem...ssz, you should print that out or download it in case it disappears

also while im on here im having a problem with my tail light was working just fine then now it just stay illumintated the whole time when i press my brakes nothing, any thoughts

Quite possibly your brake light switch is stuck or improperly adjusted and the brake light is lit all the time so what you are thinking is the tail light is actually the brake light. That would make sense why you are not seeing the brake light come on when you press your brake pedal or lever because its already on... Hope that makes sense to you as I dont always explain things correctly..... BG

yeah thats what its doing just stay on as if the brakes were being pressed. tried my buddies brake light switch and the same, unless his is out too lol

Back