smokestacks

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 heritage special, less than 10k on it, pamco (advance rod and unit), 2-1 that cane on it, not sure what kind, and Jet kit. , was running fine and then It started making a noise, my front guide needed replacing so I did that, but the noise was still there. My back guide has some grooves but doesn't look too bad. I have a new one and was going to replace it while apart, but if I should be digging deeper I would rather know ahead of time. It shifts smooth, and the noise matches the rpm. It happens wether kicked or electric started. From what I've read it could be my main transmission bearings? I surely hope not. Anyways here is a link to the video, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, there was no shaving or anything when I changed the oil.

The whirring noise?

I fixed the video link for you.

only copy the part after the / inside the tags.
insert vmSRSwwwlQ0
not

Well I can't state for sure but......
I think you may want to be looking at the crank bearings and or seeing if the pressed pins have backed out.

Again I have not done the R&R to confirm this. but I think this is a possible cause for "whirring" noise

I don't like that sound at all. A few thoughts come to mind:

Is this a 'known history' 10k pristine XS, or a possible rebuilt restoration?
A mechanic's stethoscope could help pinpoint the location, but takes trained ear to diagnose.
Sounds more like 'scraping' than bearing whirrr.
Drain the oil into clean catch pan, remove to sunlight, look for 'sparkles'.
Remove bottom sump cover, expect the unexpected.
Do forum search 'whirring', interesting info there.
Clear your calendar...

I bought it not running. It had maintenance papers but had been sitting for I don't know how long, it had no spark, compression and everything was good otherwise so I cleaned te carbs and I cleaned the brushes, put In a pamco, and got it running. It was running smooth no problems, but like two months later started that. I haven't rebuilt anything this big before, just smaller two strokes. So most of it is new to me.

Back