Engine oil

JHBMX5

Jim
Reaction score
Hi-Guys

I have an 78 XS650 street tracker, for the past 40+ yrs. I have always used
Castrol GTX 20W50 in all my bikes, with no problems. WELL the 20W50 I'am having problems finding that weight.
I found Valvoline motorcycle oil in 20W50. Is anybody using this oil ?
What would you suggest ?

RIDE-SAFE

JHB

All the oils that have the JASO MA rating on the back are good oils to use in your bike. The JASO MA rating means they have been tested and approved for wet clutches. Some diesel oils have this rating, some don't.
The diesel oils are 15w40 oils very close to the 20w40 the later xs650 speced.
The 10w40 oils might be a bit light for hot weather, The 20w50 a bit heavy for cold weather.
I would stay away from lighter car oils, like 10w30 or lighter, they have friction modifiers that your clutch won't like. Some of the heavier car oils 20w50 can be ok for your bike.
The synth oils are better oils but cost more. I don't use them in my 650's because of the short oil changes, 1500-2000 miles is my max between oil changes. The extra cost of synth oils is wasted with these short intervals.
On my Harley where I can go 5000-7500 miles on an oil change then the synth is worth it.
When you ask about oil you will get as many different answers as there are kinds of oil out there.
I don't reccomend an oil by brand anymore, just give you a few things to look for.
Any oil that fits the guidelines I stated will be fine in your bike.
Leo

Wow, 1500-2000 miles between oil changes. I guess I'll have to stock up on oil. When I start riding to work I'll be changing oil about every other week.

I stretch a bit over the repair manuals 1000 mile interval.
I check the oil before I ride. It's always full up to the 1500-2000 mile range, then I start needing to add a bit to keep it full. At around 2000 I just change it.
Leo

Been using 20w-50 from Tru Value or Ace. As long as it doesn't have that 'Energy Conserving' message in the API roundel it should be fine.

I used the 20w50 from WalMart, in the blue bottle. I started having problems with the clutch slipping after a few thousand miles. It may have been the oil or just getting worn.
I put in new heavier springs, and that helped some, new plates and different oil, one with the JASO MA rating and the clutch holds great. Even with the 750 kit's extra HP.
Leo

I noticed my GTX 20w50 is as clear as new on the stick after 500 miles. The Pennsoil 20w50 I used before they apparently quit making it (?) would be dark by now. Is the GTX not doing some cleaning the Pennsoil did?

Valvoline RACING 20w/50 is best . The racing type is one of the few oils still with Zinc ( ZZDP )
Regular oils have had this removed by the Government. Years ago I seen a motorcycle oils test
where the did a ball bearing load test and Valvoline racing came out on top and I have used it ever since.

Even the best oils wear out. Oil change should be every 1,500 miles.
If you put an oil pressure guage on the XS you will get 3-4 Lbs. with new oil but at about 1,500
miles it will drop in half. Old type engines need the zinc for wear. Ball bearing engines shear
the oil and wear it out fast. There is no cheap way around this although a paper aftermarket filter
helps the oil stay cleaner.

I don't want it to be cleaner, I want it to be dirtier to make me think it has some detergent action,

The engine is not a washing machine. When I was a mechanic we would not use Castrol as it
foamed so much. ( too much ) . I don't see why you call yourself an XS650 Guru.

When I was a mechanic we would not use Castrol as it
foamed so much. ( too much ) .
I've used Castrol since the 70's. Never had a problem with foaming. I'd guess that Castrol has the same anti-foaming additives as every other motor oil.

ZDDP has been reduced but not eliminated in most diesel oils. Current CJ4 15/40 Rotella has some ZDDP content and a JASO MA rating. ZDDP content can be restored to a level that's healthy for our cams and rockers with products like ZDDPlus.

Edit: Oops, typo! Current Rotella is rated CK4 but still carries JASO MA rating. Add one bottle of ZDDPlus per gallon and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Sorry, arctic, I don't know how the Rimula R4 formula compares to Rotella, but the Rimula specs don't list a JASO MA wet clutch compatible rating, so you might want to ask some questions before putting any in your motor.

Back