Engine out of frame

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have looked through the Tech sections and I don't see a reference to this. I have the frame stripped with only the engine left to remove. Carbs are off, top mount removed. I would like to lay it down, disconnect the mounts and then pick up the frame minus the engine.

Some questions:

1. Left or right side of the engine?
2. Which mounts can be removed beforehand? Looks like I could remove the bottom long bolt ahead of time. Loosen the others before tipping it over?
3. Anything else?

Thanks!

I suggest putting it on its right side. Remove all mounts aside from the two lowest long bolts, but have those loosened up before laying it down.

Got it out. The bottom mount came out from the right so I pulled that before laying it over. All the rest I loosened and then made hand tight. Once it was over, it was quick to remove the remaining mounts and wiggle the frame clear.

Now to clean.

The long mount bolt enters on the right side. If it has been swapped to the left side you may want to lay it on the right side. Otherwise laying on the left may be better/easier for bolt removal?
motor mount.jpg

I like the idea of laying the frame/motor over and then picking the frame up off it as you say. On my '74 that bolt you mention does enter from the right side. There is a tab (on mine anyway) that locates the bolt head.
I was doing a complete rebuild and had it at the roller stage. So I came up with this, and it worked for me. I created a couple of "handles" using some rope and a piece of tubing, going through the two upper motor mounts. I found I was able to pick the motor up using these handles and position it in the frame with relative ease (I am not "rugged", but am able to pick a complete motor up off the floor). Pics attached (I hope).

Not sure this would work as well for something larger. I have a KZ1000 that needs motor work, and I think I am going to have to do the 'laydown' trick on that.
motor ready to go in frame.JPG
motor with handles.JPG

Back