Engine Rebuild

BeauDallas

BeauDallas
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm somewhat of a newbie and I need some advice. I'm doing a rebuild on an 80 XS650. It's got compression but it needs a valve adjustment. I figured while I'm hardtailing the frame over the winter, I might as well break down the engine, blast it, clean it, and rebuild it. I'm don't really want to run a battery, just for a nostalgic type of reason but I'm not quite sure what exactly I need as far as ignition and what not. Also, any info or advice on prep work would be great. Tools, processes, how-to's would be much appreciated!

Make it run like a top and modify your charging system (sort the charging system first, at least 500 miles worth of proper operation) then do the ignition.
I'd advise sorting this out before you tear the bike down. That way you know what you have to tuck away, hide, and mount/wire when you re-do everything. You'll be disappointed if you have a bunch of prettiness and screw it all up trying to make a reliable, running bike.
$0.02

Yes, I'd run it a season or two, sort the bugs out and get a feel for the bike. Over that time, you can carefully plan your rebuild, acquire the needed parts (some at a discount since you don't need them "right now") and see just what all the bike needs.

You guys are no fun at all! He will "rebuild" the engine, while the frame is being hardtailed how cool is that?
Go ahead tell him what tools he needs, you smart ones know that.

This Thanks Giving weekend is great, lots of cool ideas.

Here is all you will need.

Have at it!!!

I haven't laughed so hard in months.

Attachments

• sawzall_large.jpg
    sawzall_large.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Disc Grinder.jpg
    Disc Grinder.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 213
Back