Engine tear down

73novaguy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be getting my haynes manual tomorow, but thought Id throw it out here first. Is there gonna be any special tools I need to tear this bad boy down to the cases? As soon as I get my manual I'm gonna get the heads off it so I can send them to Jack for some massaging, and while he is doing them I will be taking the cases to Hoos Racing for a rephase on the crank. So just curious as to any special tools needed? Ive got a flywheel puller for bottom end. Ive rebuilt 20, 2 stroke MX motors, but never tore into a 4 stroke other than adjusting valves on my CRF450. Thanks guys.

If you want to remove the timing chain in one piece,just wiggle the cam end bearings off and slide the cam out from the chain after the top cap has been removed. Other than removing the rotor no special tools needed to tear down the engine but getting the head off can be a task,might need to use some type of pry bar in the intake port and exhaust to work the head loose from the dowels and gasket.

sounds good. once the head is off the cylinders are ready to come off also? I wish I had a completely gutted motor so I could throw it in and out easy for mock-up on frame, while Jack is doing the head and Hoos is doing bottom end. I'm about week of grinding away from frame being ready to start welding on new mounts for tank and misc.

When I get a head that's really stuck on, I get a length of clothe's line rope, bring the piston's down to bottom dead center( not criticle, just need enough room for the rope)Insert the rope into the spark plug hole, turn the engine over and off come's the head. Use two equal piece's, one for each cylinder. Should be a "soft" rope, like cotton .:thumbsup:

- interesting use of squish space - be gentle though, there will be an open valve on one cylinder

If you have the rocker box off and the cam out, the valves will be closed.

- which makes sense :thumbsup:, pulling the cam releases the chain so you dont have to break it :laugh::laugh::bike:

Back