engine whining when revving up? Help

yamabob83

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 83 xs650 motor is stock and has pod filters, straight exhaust, and i have rejetted it with the mikes xs kit. When the bike is just ideling and i give it gas as well as when i am riding it i get a whining sound coming from what seems the front part of the motor hard to tell. I just wanted to see if anybody has had this happen before. It is pretty loud when im up in the rpms. My buddy has a 77 and it doesn't make this sound.

Thanks

I don't have your answer, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you, but if it is any condolence, my daughter has been whining a lot lately also.

nobody???? Could this possibly be the oil pump going bad? im lost on this one i cant really find out what is making this sound it is internal for sure.

Is your cam chain adjusted correctly? If it was too tight, it might make a noise something like that.

Not sure its a stock motor and its never been touched but ill have to check it out if you think that would make a whining noise its pretty loud if i didnt have straight pipes it would really bother me.

i adjusted the cam chain tensioner a little bit ago. the plunger looked to be too far in the adjustment screw. I turned in the adjustment screw so that the plunger is moving just a tiny bit within the 1-3 mm movement spec flush with the end of the 10 mm nut on the adjustment screw. So that should be set right and it is still doing it. What i did find though the 10 mm screw that has something to do with the tach/tach cable has all the last 2 threads sheered off like it was in too far into the right side case and was hitting some moving parts. I dont know if that could have damaged something enough to make it still make the noise when the screw is out even. These are jsut things that i have found when trying to trouble shoot this. The sound seems to be coming from the top end not the bottom. I have yet to check the valve clearances with a feeler gauge. Any reason why out of adjustment valves would make this whining sound. If you have ever heard a pete jackson gear drive, or a blower this is what the sound sounds like so not a whine but a loud gear sound. I am getting oil up to the valves cause the springs are wet with oil so the pump isnt bad. I cant figure it out any brainstorming is welcome i just hope running the motor isnt destroying something. I may pull the right side case as much as i dont want to.

Thanks

Cant help you ,but perhaps if you could get a youtube clip of the bike running and post it someone with more experience than myself may be able to steer you in the right direction.
peace

My '75 sounds similar I did have cam chain too tight.loosened it up while running till the inside pc moves a little.clutch felt bad so I removed rt side cover and clutch basket,Found pcs of main shaft brg cage,causing the clutch basket to move side to side and in & out.
I replaced this with a select used brg and now clutch is smooth as silk and the noise....is still there.At 3000 rpm noise beats and resonates ,pulsates.My noise is a brg noise I believe but am driving daily on my work commute till it goes,may be normal also.If it does pack it in I know the bike fits in my van.
Billy

The bolt on the tach is made without the last few threads. The tip of the bolt fits into a hole in the side of the fitting down in the case. Thats how the fitting is held in the case.
Often noises can move around in the engine. The engine in my 75 started sounding like the crank bearings where failing. I adjusted the cam chain tension and checked the valve adjustment and the noise went away.

Adjusted valves and i have already adjusted the cam chain tensioner. pulled the right side case this morning and nothing looks bad in there. All i haven't done is check the timing. It is really loud and annoying when cruising around i have a video that i am going to try and post here in a min.

the whining is a loud drone of the same sound you heard in the clip. even when i let off the throttle and coast at idle it still does the same.

It's very distinct in that video. Somebody with experience on the engine will recognize it immediately I bet. Since you ride it, just driving it by a mechanic to get his opinion of the sound might solve it.

I remembered these posts from XSJohn. The "rousy whirl."

Jees I have put them together with a bad main bearing had to do it all again.......just part of the fun owning these..........do you have a mechanics stethoscope......you can get them on ebay for next to nothing.......and I don't know if I mentioned it but a main bearing will sound like the top end because the sound travels......right side mains have a metalic clack to them and center mains has a rousy whirl sound [highlight mine]........big ends can sound like a lot like right side mains with a clack to them....or a whirl if they aren't too bad...not saying any of thise things are your noise ....just wanted you to be aware of it...........

xsjohn

That leaning over and it goes away thing stumps me at the moment.....unless there is something loose on the clutch or the springs on the back of the clutch ...or the shift shaft c-clip is missing alowing the shift arm to move inward and touch the spinning clutch....or the stator loose.....?.....

Just in case """""" If """"" it is the R/S bearing...for your info...... you could take the engine out........remove the cam without cutting the cam chain and leaving the head and cylinders on and take off the right engine case.......turn the engine upside down and remove the bottom..(hidden nut behind the clutch too)...so far all easy stuff.....with the pistons down then pull the crank out rotating it enough to acces the R/S bearing....and at that time you can slide the races off the 2 centers and the left to see if there is damage...............spray the R/S bearing with brake cleaner spinning it and check for damage.....if bad with a bearing puller remove the bearing and replace....sucking the new bearing on with large sockets or such and the crank shaft bolt.....centers or left replace the crank........thinking about it is worse than doing it.........

xsjohn

Also, have you eliminated your tach cable as a possibility?

so you guys think it is the bearings on the crank that are bad and i need to tear the motor down? I'm gonna wait for some other guys to chime in on this and see if i can get a firm diagnosis. yes i have no tach, the cable is just pulled out of the holder on the right side case. Man this sucks it is really annoying to listen to that while riding. i don't remember if it did that or not when it was a stock bike. it did have some oil leaks that the previous owner apparently didn't want to fix and hopefully he wasn't riding it with the leaks but who knows he could have starved it of oil.

Keep the analysis of this problem coming if i have to ill tear it down.

Lata
Eric

Back