Esoteric Pamco/motogadget question + request

buzzword

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have done some searching about this with inconclusive results.

Reading some stuff on this thread and elsewhere about how having the power on, but the bike not running, can fry one's Pamco and/or coil got me thinking about how I've got mine set up. The suggestion in that thread was to make sure the kill switch was engaged if the bike is on but not running.

I am running a VERY simple harness, using a Motogadget M-unit, a Pamco, and a Hugh's PMA. The Pamco is still running on the stock mechanical advance with no issues. Part of the allure of the Motogadget is the ability to use microswitches for your bar controls, which I am doing. Because of this, there isn't formally a hard wired kill switch that I can turn on or off when the bike is not running. A nice feature of the Motogadget is the ability to use the signals as emergency flashers, so if you're on the side of the road late at night you and your bike stand a bit better of a chance at not getting hit by errant drivers.

In other words, I am wondering if anyone knows if I am at risk of ruining my Pamco or dual output coil if I leave the bike turned on in order to use the flashers, or use the headlight to illuminate the gates and padlocks I am hoping to cut through in order to do some illegal trail riding...

Just kidding, nothing illegal going on.

Anyway, I suppose the Motogadget might not send power to the coil unless the bike is running, but I don't know that for sure.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Back