Ever been "paced" by a "gawker"?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
I have. Normally, I tend to eschew any kind of attention - I prefer being in the background - but I also appreciate the occasional payoffs that come from working hard on something over a period of time, so I confess that yesterday afternoon's events actually sent chills of (unabashed) pride up my spine.

I took the '73 out yesterday afternoon, after work, for about an hour. It was a storybook late summer afternoon, and I had just re-gapped my plugs and had not had her out for a couple of weeks due to dodgy weather and other commitments. She can be a bit of a "diva" with first gear at times, but other than that, she was running just famously, which seems to be a welcome trend. We seem to be bonding these days. I was having the kind of little ride that I have been dreaming about since I bought her as a leaky, smelly, non-running paperweight almost exactly four years ago.

I had been first at a light that I'd had a spot of bother getting away from because I had not been firm enough with first gear, but once I pulled away, I brought her up through fourth on the secondary road, and stayed there before downshifting for the next traffic light, her characteristic deceleration grumble issuing from the dual ascot shorties, and an almost feline snarl accompanying each between-gear throttle blip. Rolling to a stop, I put my engineer boots down and waited for the green behind several cars as my bike settled to a lopey, slightly impatient warm idle of about 1300 rpm. At the green, I blipped the throttle and nudged her through the right turn onto the cross-street, and settled into third, as the speed limit is only 30 mph. My bike's clubman bars put me in a moderate forward lean, so on low-speed roads with light traffic, I'll sometimes rest my left hand on my left thigh, which I did as my bike maintained a steady, symmetrical rumble until we decelerated for the next light.

I had noticed that the same 90's Ford Ranger that was behind me at the first and second lights was still present, but as I put my boots down at the third, the little pickup came around me in the left turn lane, and I could have bet on the horn toot as it went by. I could not see the driver, but I have a feeling that my '73 and I had given him or her a few nostalgic moments to archive for occasional future enjoyment.

But the encore began when I coaxed her out onto Rt. 40, two 45 mph strips of two-lane macadam divided by a grassy median, that bisects the business district. It's punctuated by the obligatory traffic lights, but even late in the day, there is room enough between them to roll on the throttle hard enough to get pushed back against the bumstop before you have to gear down again. Before the first light, I could see the two guys - obviously tradesmen who likely appreciated mechanical bits - in a utilitarian Ford F150, pulling out of an adjacent parking lot. There was eye contact, but it wasn't a "Meh... never mind... it ain't a Harley" leer... but more of a "Hey... what's this, then?" sort of visual query. By then, the '73 was grousing impolitely up to the light, and the F150 rolled up on my left and stopped just to my quarter. It stayed in the same relative position as we left the light and I came up through the first four as briskly as close-of-business traffic would allow. I had to keep my eyes on the road, but in my bike's bar-ends, I occasionally glimpsed weathered smiles as I would squeeze her a little hard - I don't have to tell any of you what a fairly healthy medium-displacement vertical twin sounds like as she blusters querulously through shorty ascots - and then roll off a tad, with her fulminating impatiently at the vehicle in front of us. Finally, as I made the next right turn onto my intended cross-street, a beefy right hand - fingers spread in satisfied salutation - came out of the Ford's passenger window as we parted ways.

And there were those chills again. Those vibes. But that particular variety of resonance is only partially the result of the spin of a crank, or the rise and fall of pistons. More than that, it's the product of a goal, informed persistent effort, and the committed patience of generous, like-minded people who want you to succeed as much as you do. Ultimately, none of us really ever ride solo. And our successes are never singularly ours. Wherever you take your bike... wherever she takes you... someone who once taught you something is always sitting pillion. Always.

TC

Well written, and it sounds like you had a good time. This is just more motivation to get my build done and running. Thanks!

nice. Funny how that sort of attention from a complete stranger feels so sincere and genuine, yet a compliment from a friend or family member is often shrugged off.

I think the best bike compliment I've received to date was issued by an 80+ year old man who walked up and said "I approve" as I parked my bike at the store one beautiful afternoon a few months ago. After a handshake, he told me about the Indian he had owned some 60 years prior. Seemed like a real cool cat.

Funny how that sort of attention from a complete stranger feels so sincere and genuine, yet a compliment from a friend or family member is often shrugged off.

You know... you're absolutely right about that.

...an 80+ year old man who walked up and said "I approve" as I parked my bike at the store one beautiful afternoon a few months ago. After a handshake, he told me about the Indian he had owned some 60 years prior. Seemed like a real cool cat.

That right there's too cool for school. :)

TC

Do you have a build thread on your XS? It sounds nice.

bobadame, thank you. :) I don't have a "build" thread per se... more a compendium of "spanner tossing, crying and cussing" threads. :p But the closest I can come is the work sheet. I need to update the pics, though... the ones in my gallery don't include the flyscreen or the gauge visors.

Thanks for reading and looking. :)

TC

Well my friend you're not gonna get those looks on the Ninja. At least I never did. You SHOULD be proud as you have a lot of sweat equity in that old girl and an informed spectator can appreciate that. Being cool takes a lot of work you know? And it doesn't come from taking it to the dealer and getting out your debit card. I've been around here long enough to read about the headaches you've had to get her this far. And being the owner of a couple of vintage bikes I know when I see a well put together ride on the street how much effort it is. You've earned it don't you think? :bike:

Hey, pumps! :) How are you, my friend?! Haven't seen you about! Good to see you!

And thanks much. Coming from you, those remarks are not taken lightly... I value your opinion and have always appreciated your help. Remember the old days, when you'd come on and say "Theeeeere, theeeere now... this will make you feel better...", and offer me a cyber Nut Brown Ale? :p

Good seeing you! :) I hope your '77 is as pretty (or even prettier?) than it was! I know you had it frame off for a bit!

TC

My 77 IS still in pieces. Either I have time or money but never both at the same time. Two kids AND my wife in college! Thats why my bike is named Patience. Got some shiny bits to put on her, but waiting on clutch plates , starter gearing etc etc and of course time.

That's a great name for your bike, pumps! Maybe some time will come with winter and less outdoor chores. Hope so! Looking forward to seeing her back on the road!

TeeCat, sound's like a good day. Get the same from alot of peep's, and the ol' girl and I just get so full of that 'proud Papa' thing going.
But then again, any day on the ol' scoot, is a good day!

You sir are a definite wordsmith.Maybe there is a literary career in your future

Donald... ya made my day... very kind of you. :) Glad you enjoyed the little muse. :)

TeeCat, sound's like a good day. Get the same from alot of peep's, and the ol' girl and I just get so full of that 'proud Papa' thing going.
But then again, any day on the ol' scoot, is a good day!

Gordon... you're one of those folks "riding pillion by proxy". I think of you and twins every time I look at and use my newly invigorated front brake, which no longer groans, looks brand new, and works as nicely as could ever be expected for period technology. :)

TC

Peter Egan watch out! You should submit that or something along those lines..to say Motorcycle Classics mag? Nothing to lose eh? You might actually get paid :yikes:

That's the great thing about these bikes. People gawk and think "what is that?" Every time I stop at a gas station it takes forever cause I usually get into a convo about my bike with strangers. I came out of K-Mart to find 4 guys standing around my ride. That chipped another half an hour off my day when I was just running in for a can of black spray paint :)

Aw, you guys are chuffin'' me up. :) Might have to do that, pumps. :)

Sink, that's neat about the pumps. :) For some reason, I have usually been filling my bike from a clean can, it seems, but I'll have to do your social experiment at the pumps. :p

Oh, funny, too... it occurred to me, only after the fact, that the last paragraph is actually a useful metaphorical context in which to express the value of mentors and what they have to offer, and how what you learn from them lives on to be paid forward. In that vein, I posted this on my little forum that I operate primarily for the benefit of young people who have struggled (or do struggle) with some fairly weighty challenges. Most have been with me for a long time now and have the mental acuity to benefit from instructive metaphor. But even adults can use a bit of imagery in their learning environment from time to time.

TC

My '83 Nothin' Special really is nothing special but she garners lots of gawkers-- especially from older dudes (meaning dudes my age) on V-twin cruisers. They often tell me they had one 30 years ago and wished they'd never let go. Others tell me it reminds them of their first motorcycles and first loves. I got that kind of attention on a V-twin (1200cc H-D) 30 years ago before they were so commonplace.

Bill, they do seem to awaken a nostalgic muse in the more "broken in" crowd, don't they? :p And even the younger ones who have never seen an older bike seem to get a big kick.

Funny, though... one guy at work, the last time I had her there, just could not figure out what my decompression lever was for love nor money. When I told him it was a primitive electric start, he was just gobsmacked... he got the biggest charge out of that. :p

TC

Back