Ever had one of those days?

pamcopete

Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple
Reaction score
Beautiful day for riding today. I decided to go to the hardware store up the Interstate to the next exit. Started out OK, except there was a dysfunctional driver behind me reading my licence plate. I sped up a bit to get ahead of him, but then encountered another dysfunctional driver who was dancing on his brakes, so I backed up from him, which put me close to the guy behind me reading my licence plate. A rock and a hard place. :banghead:

We three then approached an intersection with two left turn lanes. The braker in front started for the left most turn lane, I went for the right, left turn lane, but then the braker decided he wasn't going to turn at all so he instantly swerves across the two turn lanes and heads for the straight ahead lane, I shift over to the left, left turn lane, but the licence plate reader is right there, :doh: but I insist and settle into the left most turn lane waiting for the light, with the licence plate reader right behind me. Hell, there are only six digits in the licence plate, so he should have been able to read them by now! :wtf:

The light changes. I'm determined to loose the licence plate reader, so I twist the throttle and zoom ahead, only to encounter a pick up truck that suddenly decided he needed to make a left turn from the far right lane in a three lane road, right in front of me, I change lanes to the far right, only to encounter a nice young lady on her cell phone who suddenly decided to just stop, right there in the middle of the road. Must have been something that her boyfriend said to her on the cell phone. :D

I exit onto the Interstate and crank it up to the next exit. It's not much better. Another two lane left turn deal. The light changes but nobody moves. I look ahead and it's because someone was changing lanes, but got stuck and was blocking both lanes. Horns are blowing. People are reaching for their .357 in the glove box, I left mine at home, so I decide to be nice and not shout the "F" word. :thumbsup: The traffic clears and I'm finally on my way to the hardware store, but yet another pickup truck suddenly decides to turn left from the outside lane. I jam on the brakes, and see in my left side mirror, THE DAMN LICENCE PLATE READER! :eek:

I finally got to the hardware store, made a couple of purchases and went back home. Cleaned the gun for the next ride. This ever happen to you? Huh? :wtf:

Pete, you need to get on some of the less traveled, more twisty back roads out of town....and away from the cagers.

I hear what you're saying Pete. Bad drivers are all too common these days. When I go out driving my car or my bike, I assume people are going to do dumb dangerous things.

A couple of years ago, I was out riding on my bike. I come up to an intersection that has 2 lanes, and I stop in the right lane of the 2 lanes. A car is stopped next to me in the left lane, and I'm stopped in the right lane. The lanes are clearly marked with signs...............the left lane must make a left turn, and the right lane is optional left turn or straight ahead.

I'm planning to make a left turn, which is allowed in my lane. I know the car next to me is supposed to also make a left turn, so nothing to be concerned about. When the light changes to green, my defensive nature tells me to not make the turn into the intersection too quickly. Sure enough, the car next to me that is supposed to go left, darts straight out and straight through the intersection and drives away. If I had just accelerated normally making my left turn, the car would have collided with me, and I would have had a real bad day.

An unsafe left-hand turn is how I entered the XS650 Community. I was heading to lunch from work when a 92 year-old lady made an left hander in front of my KLR650. It totaled the bike. With the money I bought a 76' and a 78' XS650 Standard. Broke my clavicle and separated my shoulder.

Oh, gawd, I've had more than my fair share of those kinda days. Too many stories, would choke this forum. Glad to be living in the woods. Thanx for the memories...

Hi pete,
some days it don't pay to get out of bed.
But then there's the horror story about the guy who dreamed that he could read a next week entry in his sister's diary, all he can make out is that he'd just been killed in a freak accident.
So he stayed home in bed that day, just to be safe.
Which is why he died when the airplane crashed on his house.

I think we all have stories of close calls. Not quite as many in one short ride. Most of my close calls are from women on cell phones.
Leo

The last woman on a cell phone I passed rather quickly, closely, and loudly (full throttle blast) used said cell phone to call the cops on me, lol. Guess I scared the little cunt.

- - - Most of my close calls are from women on cell phones.
Leo

Hi Leo,
you do mean the women drivers yabbling down their cell phones instead of looking where they are going?
NOT the women calling you from home saying you knocked them up?

Bad day Pete and i'm glad your alright.

Sad day when it makes you want, (even it it is tongue in cheek), to load your gun.

If there is one lesson to be learnt here, Pete,RG, if your turning left or right and there are 2 lanes where the turn can be made from then the inside lane, (closest to the turn), is the safest and should be used. Defensive driving;

I see more men around here driving with a cell glued to their ear than women. Especially trades people.

Bad day Pete and i'm glad your alright.

Sad day when it makes you want, (even it it is tongue in cheek), to load your gun.

If there is one lesson to be learnt here, Pete,RG, if your turning left or right and there are 2 lanes where the turn can be made from then the inside lane, (closest to the turn), is the safest and should be used. Defensive driving;

I see more men around here driving with a cell glued to their ear than women. Especially trades people.

I totally agree Skull, and that has been my MO ever since that near miss.

greatest danger to bike riders has been the invention of texting,we can ride defensivly against bad drivers but ones who arnt even looking at all are near impossible

Back