Ever use a thread file? Do you have one? here's a how to.

Thread file user profile

• Total voters

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
51ruUBneZ2L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/thread-file/

I have a metric and SAE thread file in addition to tap and die sets and have used them both many times.
Rear axles, foot peg studs, swing arm bolts, engine mount bolts, steering stems. It's a long list. Hammer marks, oops i dropped it. road rash, cross threads, and of course the dreaded PO, there are many reasons to grab one.

I never heard of them then the mechanic at work bought a bunch of them from the MAC tool guy and we tried them out... needless to say I now have a full stock of them.

my dad has one, and ive used it plenty of times. often a tap and die set will do the same work, but i can see times where this is the best answer.

Some thread files can even fix damaged INTERNAL thread. On these thread files, the outer 20-25 mm are cut at 90 degrees to the rest of the file, and one can "scrape" away damage in nuts and caps. But only for larger diameters, I would say M12 and upwards.

I had my metric thread file for several years before even trying it. Now I use it all the time. It's a wonderful tool.

I also learned another handy trick when I was an apprentice fitter in a shipyard in the 80's.
If you have a nut and bolt assembly, and the threads are stiff and do not turn freely. Obviously any dirt and rust must be removed first, then oil the threads lightly, and screw the nut on BY HAND until it stops. Then tap all 6 sides of the nut on a vice or anvil, this will flatten any irregularity. Then tighten the nut further BY HAND, tap all sides of the nut, and just carry on like this until the nut easily can be screwed on all the way, and off again. This method is actually much better than using taps and dies on lightly damaged threads. Perfect for motorcycle wheel axles and swing arm pivot axles.

I also learned another handy trick when I was an apprentice fitter in a shipyard in the 80's.
If you have a nut and bolt assembly, and the threads are stiff and do not turn freely. Obviously any dirt and rust must be removed first, then oil the threads lightly, and screw the nut on BY HAND until it stops. Then tap all 6 sides of the nut on a vice or anvil, this will flatten any irregularity. Then tighten the nut further BY HAND, tap all sides of the nut, and just carry on like this until the nut easily can be screwed on all the way, and off again. This method is actually much better than using taps and dies on lightly damaged threads. Perfect for motorcycle wheel axles and swing arm pivot axles.

That's funny, I had just PM'd this to member who had a some bad threads on a wheel truing stand yesterday, kinda what got me to start this thread. He had greased the threads and got the axle centering bolt in the stand but it was too "tight" to turn by hand.

"just an idea maybe with the bolt in the threads tap it around sideways in a bunch of directions rotate and repeat see if that helps at all. I like a thread chasing file, a worthwhile addition to the tool box."

Never used one or knew there was one.

Always had a fine small triangle file and chased the threads with it when needed

RD how was the snowmobiling this year? Heck you didn't even need to leave home?

Got back from the Northwoods Sunday. I beat the meltdown. I was hoping to go back on St Paddy's day but it is not sounding good. Hoping for another big dump north of you. 44 days so far up north, one less than all of last season, but................

Riding here? Have not been on Illinois snow since 2008.

Until now did not know they exist. Will be investigating further, sounds like something good to know about. Only ever used the small triangular file. Glad I read the forum.
Thanks.
Yamimoto

I have to use them from time to time at work thanks to some very hamfisted co-workers who chew up fixtures and put them back on the shelf for the next guy. I'm guessing 90% of the "technicians" I work with wouldn't know what a thread file was anyway.

Pretty funny this came up. I buggered up my gas cap bung getting welding spatter on it. Called every supply house in town and no one knew what I was talking about. Pretty surprised. Anyways, if you do get one, its worth it spending a little extra getting the internal/external ones. The ends look different and its pretty obvious spotting the internal/external files.

Pretty funny this came up. I buggered up my gas cap bung getting welding spatter on it. Called every supply house in town and no one knew what I was talking about. Pretty surprised. Anyways, if you do get one, its worth it spending a little extra getting the internal/external ones. The ends look different and its pretty obvious spotting the internal/external files.

Watched the video and was hunting them today, saw only individuals, no sets but will keep looking. Completely understand why they should be in every toolbox.
Yamimoto

Back