Every time I turn on the switch the fuse blows

jimed

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
PamcoWiringcopy.jpg
I re-wired my bike after installing a Pamco following the attached wiring diagram but now everytime I turn on the switch the fuse running from the brown wire on the regulator blows. I need help!!!

I need help!!!! My wiring is fine...I have double checked everything 4 times. It is a 81 that wasn't running when I bought it so I completely rebuilt the engine including installing new brushes, checking the stator, etc. With it being a 81 I shouldn't have to unground the charging system... correct???.

Pamco is fine as I have spark, starter works fine but ever time I connect the charging system and turn the key on the fuse blows on the brown wire curcuit coming out of the regulator. Help!!! :banghead:

Your rotor gets power on the same brown wire that feeds the reg/rec. If the rotor has a short to ground that will blow the fuse. Did you check the ohms of the rotor from slip ring to slip ring as well as from slip rings to ground? Should be about 5 ohms ring to ring, infinity to ground.
On the 81 the charging system was ungrounded at the brushes. The earlier bikes 70-79had the grounded brush.
Leo

Back