exhaust conversion on 77 model

mnrenfro

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 that I'm working on getting road ready but while I'm at it I'd also like to change the exhaust from the stock equipment to that like what is shown in the link here:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...ate=ive&vld=cid:1fd908ed,vid:8B-Q_6CIdcg,st:0

My question is, has someone already swapped the original exhaust header pipes and bracketing and exhaust pipes over to something as shown in the video?

My header pipes have a slightly upward bend at the end, whereas the ones in the video do not have this. It looks like there are several after market header pipes available as shown in the video, so there's that. But has anyone found already made brackets to accommodate the 77 frame and also found the same kind of exhaust pipes (pretty sure there's no baffle which is preferred just because I like the sound) as in the video?

Just trying to get a jump on it if someone has already hunted down all these pieces instead of trying to hunt it all up myself.

Any help appreciated.

I have these on my '77. Both header pipes and commando style mufflers are here: https://yamahaxs650.com/

thanks. that may be the way I go even htough these mufflers look to have baffles. Were the brackets a direct bolt up or did you have to any heating and bending of the brackets to make them fit? I know it's hard to describe sound but are the mufflers good and loud?
thanks,
Marshall

The XS2 in the video appears to have stock headpipes, judging by the bend radii. Aftermarket pipes tend to have tighter bends. The mufflers look very much like HD Sportster or Big Twin mufflers.

And why do you want unmuffled exhaust? That is just plain daft IMHO. Loud pipes do not save lives, they are just a clear indication of an antisocial moron approaching. And I bet that 99% of street bikes without functional mufflers are not tuned to reap the potential tiny performance benefits they may offer. A slightly more free flowing and throaty sounding exhaust than stock is perfectly fine, but open pipes and open megaphones are just creating a negative attitude towards all motorcyclists

thanks. that may be the way I go even htough these mufflers look to have baffles. Were the brackets a direct bolt up or did you have to any heating and bending of the brackets to make them fit? I know it's hard to describe sound but are the mufflers good and loud?
thanks,
Marshall
Those repro muffs are louder than stock, not as loud and ratty as open pipes but have a beautiful tone. I've been running them for some years. So far the deer hear me loud and clear, my main concern when out and about.
Take note in the pic above of the passenger foot peg. It's not the stock muffler hangar that comes on the stock Standard bike but a chrome aftermarket hangar and possibly a Special foot peg,

As I remember:umm: this is a direct bolt on. There is a channel on the muffler that the bracket slides in. Slide the mounting bracket for the best fit and tighten down.
Yes, they are baffled, but sound great--imo. If you want LOUD, (and piss off the neighbors) buy the 1-3/4" stainless header pipes and go to Cone Engineering and buy their megaphones. Plus, if you have the original '77 mufflers/headers in very good condition, they could be worth some big money.

channel.jpg

I do like slightly louder pipes. I enjoy the sound of my well tuned motor, I spent a lot of time getting it well tuned. My Commandos have only a slightly louder tone than stock, but a lovely sound. I am never embarrassed by the sound.
20230724_181258.jpg
My 750 BBK Tracker is louder. I have made several modifications to tone down these pipes with flow restriction and packing so I don't wake sleeping babies as I ride through town. That being said, I only open the throttle in business or rural settings on this bike.
20231001_145759.jpg

@Kevin Werner has got this perfectly right :)
Both his bikes look great, and both have mufflers. And I am sure both sound great too. I have the same "Commando" mufflers on my 77.
I believe all of us can agree that smaller/ shorter mufflers like those on Kevin's tracker are more difficult to make reasonably quiet, while avoiding too much loss of performance. Larger/ longer mufflers are more suitable for good noise reduction without hurting power. And mostly will have a mellower sound even when they have a fairly open baffle.

thanks all for the replies thus far. I don't know how the sound of what's in the video compares to the sound of the Commando exhaust, but I'll check. I'm sure they both sound good but I really do like the sound (and look) of what's in the video. From what I can tell it appears that I'd have to change the header pipes or otherwise bend the header pipes I have to take out the upsweep that currently exists, and then find bracketing and exhaust pipes. And in my original post I said that I'm "pretty sure there's no baffle which is preferred just because I like the sound) as in the video", but I quite likely made an incorrect assumption. Baffles or not, I liked the sound. I get being loud and irritating the neighbors. I'm not looking to irritate folks for the fun of it, not by any stretch. I'm OK with a loud bike that I start and ease out of the neighborhood as much as possible hoping not to annoy too many folks too much , but not sweating it after that point.

Again, I was hoping someone might see this post who has already done what I'd like to do in changing out all the stock parts with what's shown in the video with references to where the parts were purchased and any tips from their experience.

And Mr. Bultaco, neither the stock mufflers nor the stock header pipes on this bike are that great, so if I get them swapped out, and if you're ever in central Texas, they're yours if you want them.

thanks all for the replies thus far. I don't know how the sound of what's in the video compares to the sound of the Commando exhaust, but I'll check. I'm sure they both sound good but I really do like the sound (and look) of what's in the video. From what I can tell it appears that I'd have to change the header pipes or otherwise bend the header pipes I have to take out the upsweep that currently exists, and then find bracketing and exhaust pipes. And in my original post I said that I'm "pretty sure there's no baffle which is preferred just because I like the sound) as in the video", but I quite likely made an incorrect assumption. Baffles or not, I liked the sound. I get being loud and irritating the neighbors. I'm not looking to irritate folks for the fun of it, not by any stretch. I'm OK with a loud bike that I start and ease out of the neighborhood as much as possible hoping not to annoy too many folks too much , but not sweating it after that point.

Again, I was hoping someone might see this post who has already done what I'd like to do in changing out all the stock parts with what's shown in the video with references to where the parts were purchased and any tips from their experience.

And Mr. Bultaco, neither the stock mufflers nor the stock header pipes on this bike are that great, so if I get them swapped out, and if you're ever in central Texas, they're yours if you want them.
Look closely at the pics above of my "Red Bike". My headpipes run straight back for 14-16 inches, then have a 5-8 degree upsweep. Your desire for straight back pipes could be achieved by using pipes like this and cutting off the offending bend. These head pipes were ~$120 for the pair. There are other pipes available without that upsweep IIRC. Your muffler choice does not seem offensive, my Red Bike had similar when I bought it. They were Sportster mufflers and sounded similar (video sound quality may vary). Most mufflers I have seen have a welded on back bracket to fashion a secure mount. Several of the purveyors of XS650 parts offer beefy muffler brackets with and without offsets. On a stock frame you have 2 solid studs (passenger peg, muffler mount) each side to use for mounting a muffler bracket. My limited experience suggests that many new pieces and parts for non stock exhaust require a little bit of trial and error or careful measuring to get a good and solid mount for exhaust system on the near 50 year old bikes. I did try to do Sportster Mufflers for my bike but shops were reluctant to let go of the take offs. No Harley riders ever seem to want stock exhausts it seems but shops were guarded about muffs being available. Good thing, my Commandos look and sound great on my style of XS650.
If you move forward with an exhaust system upgrade please start a thread or continue this one documenting your progress and discoveries. I was a little guarded in my "Red Bike" thread on this topic because the "seemingly" stock muffler brackets served almost perfectly reoriented a little bit and shot with black Rustolem to visually hide them behind the lovely chrome pipes. 😀

Last edited:
What about XS1/XS2 type mufflers? They run pretty much straight/ parallell to the ground. And are supposed to sound more throaty than the later exhausts. Heiden tuning have reproductions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231011-232803.png
    Screenshot_20231011-232803.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 32
Back