Exhaust gasket dimensions, second attempt

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying again, as my first post regarding this took off in a different direction than intended. I am grateful for the input I got, but it was not relevant for my setup.

So, what are the dimensions (outside diameter, inside diameter, and thickness) of:

- An unused OEM Yamaha exhaust gasket
- A used (compressed) OEM Yamaha exhaust gasket
or
- An unused MikesXS exhaust gasket
- A used (compressed) MikesXS exhaust gasket

In case this is useful to anyone else: I emailed Jerry Heiden yesterday, and got a reply today.
He could inform me that the gaskets he sells are 5.00 mm thick when new, around 4.50 mm thick when compressed. This ties in well with a previous post regarding different exhaust port depths, which turned out to be an old gasket, and where the difference was said to be 3/16" (4.76 mm)
Gasket OD is 50.00 mm, ID 39.00 mm, when new.

So my home made aluminum inserts will be as follows:

32.00 mm ID at inner end, this gives just enough material for blending insert with exhaust port, creating a smooth entry.
35.00 mm ID at outer end, matching headpipe ID closely.
39.50 mm OD for the part that sits inside the step, for a length of 15.00 mm
38.50 mm OD for the part that sits inside the exhaust gasket, for a length of 4.40 mm
Which gives a total length of 19.40 mm, from bottom of step to sealing surface on headpipe.
Now, as soon as my 12 hr shift is done, it's LATHE TIME! If any of you are interested in pictures, just say so!

Last edited:
Back